Salt and surface film

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hardparts2

Aquarium Advice Regular
My 55g has been running for almost 2 months now and I have trouble with surface film. I am running a coralife 125 super skimmer and 2 Seio 620s and a aquaclear 50 power head there is good flow and surface aggitation but it is still there . I have done several water changes and its still there. I use a 16 gallon rubbermaid container for water changes. I fill it with ro/di water add salt and let it run 2 days with a power head and heater and make sure it is the same as tank water.I have noticed that when I take the cover off the container for the water change there is a brown film on the bottom of the cover from the air bubbles popping in said container. I asume that there is some thing in the salt mix that could be causing the film, could this be my problem?I am using IO Reef Crystals but I am thinking about changing to something else for salt. Can I do this?

I have no fish in the tank yet. The only thing in the tank is live rock and sand.My protein skimmer seems to be pulling out alot of gunk. The water is very clear except for the surface film.I do not have a surface skimmer wish I did but I have no room for a sump.I tried the paper towel thing but it didnt help much. I was thinking on getting a canister with a skimmer attachment would this work?

Thanks Bob

Do you run GAC? You can try skimming the surface of the water with a brine shrimp net to remove some of the film.

As lando stated, GAC and some type of surface skimming can clear this problem easy. I have a prizm with the surface skimmer and it does a fine job. I also run GAC 24/7 and only have this problem briefly after changing my water and messing with my tank.

sounds like a protein build up to me...... you need to skim the surface more, make some adjustments to you skimmer or what ever you have that skims the surface.

Back
Top Bottom