Saltwater Startup Advice Plz

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SC350Z

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok so I read a bit on what ya'll have been advising people to do and well I just want some confirmation I'm on the right track....
I have a 25gal tank and I've been "cleaning" the sand, ok the sand is the Aragonite by Carib-Sea 15lb bag so its looking like I don't have enough the bag says 1-2lb's per gallon so I'm thinking about getting another bag and that'll give me a real nice thick bottom.... 1 bag is in my aquarium with now water yet. My question do ya'll think I should get the same stuff? Or can you mix live sand and this stuff? Would it benefit me? Keep in mind I'm going to PetSmart... Its a very large one so they have quite a variety of product....
I have my Sea Salt mix bag for 25 gal so should be good there and I have my stock of reverse osmosis water which the Warehouse Aquarium store told me is way better than tap water...
So my plan is goto PetSmart and pick up more sand then clean that and put it in then pour my water in then my salt and stir it up then let it sit???
Is that the correct order of operation for me as of now? Thanks! I'd like to get this all finished tonight..

You can add the live sand to the other sand. With live sand you do not clean it. . . . The way I did mine is a much longer process but makes the tank nicer later.

I put the water in first then slowly add the sand to the tank. This will make the water extremely cloudy, but the filter will clean it up. This allows for fish and inverts to kick the sand around later and not create a dust storm.

I used my tank to mix the salt then put in my sand. It will make it cloudy but goes down it a few days. If u want the sand in first u have to pre mix the SW. Use a plate on the sandbed so it will reduce the cloudyness when u pour the water in

Thanks for the advice well I have an issue.... I already have 1 bag of sand cleaned and in the bottom and the tank is 1/4 full of water and no salt has been added yet and I have a bag of sand to clean and put in now.... whats my best course of action?
I am in no rush to put in stock yet.... I'm planning on that in 3 weeks....

Scoop out the sand an start over. Fill the tank with RO water then mix the salt make sure it's the rite saltistity u might have to get some buffer (I had too). Then put the sand in a ziploc put to the bottom and pour it out this should reduce the cloud. Then put the bag of live sand in over top of the other sand. I put the bag in then cut it open. Your gonna get cloudy water any way u look at it but it will settle eventually

I didn't want to go buy a trash can just to mix water so that's the way I did it. Once u get this all done your gonna have to cycle it four at least 4 weeks until u can stock it. Also did u buy a test kit

It will take longer then 3 weeks before you want to start putting stock in. Are you doing live rock, is it a FOWLR, reef, what are your plans for the tank? A marine test kit is gonna be your best friend. :)

Scoop out the sand an start over. Fill the tank with RO water then mix the salt make sure it's the rite saltistity u might have to get some buffer (I had too). Then put the sand in a ziploc put to the bottom and pour it out this should reduce the cloud. Then put the bag of live sand in over top of the other sand. I put the bag in then cut it open. Your gonna get cloudy water any way u look at it but it will settle eventually

Thanks man! I scooped out the water into my bucket and mixed some salt with it then slowly poured it against the wall so it wouldn't stir up to bad but I'm in no rush for it to settle... I have a 55gal setup already so the anticipation to put fish in for the first time isn't eating at me lol
I have to go get another 10gal tomorrow, I had 3 cases of RO water from work I heisted, didn't known how far they'd go but I'd say its about half full now, so I'll mix the salt in with the water from the Aquarium place tomorrow and pour it in ever so slightly to minimize cloudiness....

That's what it looks like now.... vvvv

Attachments

• IMG_20120723_223841.jpg
    IMG_20120723_223841.jpg
    214.7 KB · Views: 173
It will take longer then 3 weeks before you want to start putting stock in. Are you doing live rock, is it a FOWLR, reef, what are your plans for the tank? A marine test kit is gonna be your best friend. :)

Yea I plan to let it cycle quite a while lol as I said in post above sry I didn't see these lol took me awhile to get my phone hooked up to upload that pic..
I'm thinking 2 Clown Fish aka Nemo's they are $25 a piece at warehouse aquarium... then after they get adjusted 2 Sea Horses??? Are those numbers ok? I haven't done my research on what they require yet, bc I know some fish need a certain number in a group otherwise **** hits the fan lol
I appreciate the help ya'll btw! SW is new to me but I've been doing FW for 2yrs now.
I plan to buy a marine test kit Friday.... I believe its like $30 at PetSmart

Not to sure about the seahorses. I think they are on the expert level myself and I belive they have to be in a species specific tank. Other then that clowns sound good to start with. I would do lotsa research before you add even a snail. I know it sounds stupid but the more I knew when I started the better off I was. I also learned a heck of alot on this forum by reading everyone's posts. I read an idiots guide to saltwater before I dived in, but this forum teaches me something new every day.

For sure! I deff will be researching alot! And I learned the power of forums on my car forum haha they truly can be an amazing source of knowledge lol
Thanks for the advice I'll research and figure it all out soon enough.

Be sure to keep us posted and pics are always welcome. :) here is my JBJ 28 gallon tank running since march.

Attachments

• image-2620324130.jpg
    image-2620324130.jpg
    176 KB · Views: 152
****! Is that a real anemone up top??? How much did stuff like that cost?

It's a hammer coral. I got it for a steal at 40 bucks! There is a anemone in behind the back. It's a condy nem. I have a pulsing Xenia, bottom right, mushrooms and zoas. All pretty easy to keep stuff. Gotta have good light tho my tank came with halide lights. Good for coral but bad for heating issues!

Back
Top Bottom