Saltwater Startup Advice Plz

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok yea pry a no on the seahorses lol but anyway got another 5gal of water today and mixed in my salt... got the salinity upto 1.022, what do y'all think about that? Tomorrow believe I'm going to get another 5 gal and a base rock so I can start getting the cycling process going... then after a week get a live rock and some inverts?? Someone tell me my schedule is on target or what needs to be changed about it plz and thank you!

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120726_183156.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120726_183156.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 60
Get a test kit. You don't want to add livestock till after the cycle is complete. In order to see this you will have to test the water.

Crystal A said:
Get a test kit. You don't want to add livestock till after the cycle is complete. In order to see this you will have to test the water.

Troof! I plan to get that tomorrow as well...

spoonman said:
No inverts or any other living thing until the cycle is over!! It will die!!

Ok so I have to follow the cycle all the way through to make sure its complete then inverts?

carey said:
Yep, nothing alive goes into the tank until it's fully cycled. :) No pods, snails or crabs. :-(

But a chunk of live rock should? That's part of the cycle correct? Or did I misunderstanding that?

Live rock should be in the tank from the beginning. It has beneficial bacteria on it already so it will help with the cycle. The rock can take the ammonia spikes much better than critters can.

Not nessisarily. You want to put on all the live rock at the beginning, 1pound per gallon, then you put in a raw shrimp from the grocery store. The decaying shrimp will start the amonnia cycle. You put the live rock in at the begging so that any die off will happen when there is no livestock in the tank. The die off can start mini cycles which is stressful to fish.

Ok so I got a big base rock and 2 live rocks and a coral skeleton (for free totally awesome!) Its very cloudy again... I filled it up all the way now and have the filter running so we'll see what happens but like for real the water has this weird swirly look to it whenever I move it around I feel like there's way to much salt in it or something but yet I'm reading very low salinity so I dumped some more salt in and swirled it around and it barely went up I've done that like 5 times now finally upto 1.020... any thoughts... what do you think of the scape?

Pics :) for some reason my camera was doing funky colors.. the light is like a cross between the two first pics blueish purple

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120727_160039.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120727_160039.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 76
  • ForumRunner_20120727_160048.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120727_160048.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 92
  • ForumRunner_20120727_160058.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120727_160058.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 79
  • ForumRunner_20120727_160107.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120727_160107.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 79
I don't remember what tester you have for salinity, but if it's a needle hydro, don't trust it. Get it tested at the LFS.
Using instant ocean salt you should need 2.5 cups to raise 25 gal from 1.02 to 1.025.
Cloudiness should go away as cycle works thru. BB will help the very fine particles stick into you sand bottom.

Ok so I went to go drag racing but it got cancelled due to rain so I come back and turn the light on and wow! The filter and 3hrs time did alot! Put in more salt and got the salinity upto 1.023 (thanks Ingy for the calculation it helped out) now since only rock is in there to help it become more colorful and grow more. Everything seems good so far now to goto the PetSmart and get the test kit tomorrow so I can start logging the cycle process... here's a pic after I mixed in more salt so not quite as clear as before but very good compared to before!

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120727_204604.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120727_204604.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 110
Did first test everything seems to be in order except pH is a bit off I'm recording everything on an Excel chart to log the cycle.
pH= 8.0
Ammonia= 0.3
Nitrite= 0.0
Nitrate= 7.5

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120728_184608.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120728_184608.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 80
Day 2 of testing:
pH: still 8.0
Ammonia: 0.5
Nitrite: 0.0
Nitrate: 9.0
Salt Hydrometer: 1.023-1.024

So Nitrate went up and so did ammonia but no nitrites yet.... Is this normal for cycling? Day 2 of testing, day 3 of base rock and live rock, day 4 of sand and water.
ALSO!!!! Noticed a Brittle Seastar growing on one of the live rocks!!!! Awesome!!!
What should I do about the pH level?

SC350Z said:
Day 2 of testing:
pH: still 8.0
Ammonia: 0.5
Nitrite: 0.0
Nitrate: 9.0
Salt Hydrometer: 1.023-1.024

So Nitrate went up and so did ammonia but no nitrites yet.... Is this normal for cycling? Day 2 of testing, day 3 of base rock and live rock, day 4 of sand and water.
ALSO!!!! Noticed a Brittle Seastar growing on one of the live rocks!!!! Awesome!!!
What should I do about the pH level?

when did u check the Ph? Apparently if the lights are off and u test before they come on the Ph will be a little lower. Check after they have been on for a while.

Back
Top Bottom