Sand coverage?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yup looks like diatoms. It's caused by excess silicates in your tank. However, if it's on your sand and not just your rock, it's due to circulation issues on your sand. It will go away on it's own as the silicates in your tank are consumed. They usually show up in a new tank and/or a new light set up etc.

AquaRick said:
Yup looks like diatoms. It's caused by excess silicates in your tank. However, if it's on your sand and not just your rock, it's due to circulation issues on your sand. It will go away on it's own as the silicates in your tank are consumed. They usually show up in a new tank and/or a new light set up etc.

Ah ha! Ive been messing around with lights!!! Im waiting for new bulbs to arrive so i threw on some regular fw Aquarium lights for brightness. I only have on powerhead rated for 850 gph. I know i need another.

How big is your tank? Yeah i've had my tank setup for a few months without any lights (just ambient light from the windows in the room etc) and never had any outbreaks. Finally finished my canopy and strung up the 8bulb t5s and got diatoms for about 3 days on all my rock.

AquaRick said:
How big is your tank? Yeah i've had my tank setup for a few months without any lights (just ambient light from the windows in the room etc) and never had any outbreaks. Finally finished my canopy and strung up the 8bulb t5s and got diatoms for about 3 days on all my rock.

Tank is a 55gal. Houses 3 clowns a starfish and a peppermint shrimp. The tank is in my basement. No light. Lol so i am waiting for my new pc bulbs to show up...

We have the same with a newish, still cycling 36G BF tank. The brown sure is ugly. Just added one PH (Koralia 425) last night so we'll see if that and cycling progress will help.
Always nice to find questions answered via search in here!

- D

Back
Top Bottom