sand in freshwater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
fishboy87 said:
Hey guys I want to do a 90 gallon tank... And I want to use sand .. What kind of sand is good for freshwater and wat kind of fish will do well in there????

You could use pool filter sand because its super cheap, or buy some from a pet store. Any sand will work, just not the live sand made for sw. Sand is perfect IMO for pretty much all fw fish. Loaches and cories and eels won't hurt themselves, and it looks better than gravel :)

I have tried the Super Naturals Moonlight White Sand, Blasting Sand and Pool Filter Sand.

So far I LOVE the cleanability (<- is that a word) of the pool filter sand. It settles fast and vacuums really well.

The blasting sand is ok but I am still deciding weather or not I like it.

I can't stand the Super Naturals. It is too fine and packs super tight. Plus it is so light weight I have a hard time cleaning it and I never feel like it looks clean. When I move to a 55 gallon that will NOT be in it.

Good Luck!

Ok so I'll do pool filter sand but waht kind of fish... I want sharks... Lol.. But not sure ifthats possible... What other options do I have ...? I pike fish with that sharkish look.... Lol.. Keep in mind it's a 90 gallon...

I would vote for a red tail shark...I have one and I love it but you have to be careful with who you choose to be with it

Rainbow and Red Tail sharks look almost identical... O_O

Both are semi-aggressive and territorial, especially the red tail. So I would look into compatible fish if you decide you like either.

I want a rainbow shark so bad I wish the red tail and rainbow were compatible haha

They are common and inexpensive, pretty much any LFS should have them. I got mine on sale for only $2.00 and am very happy with it. It spends it's time cruising around the tank sucking on anything and everything, flipping upside down to get the underside of leaves, swimming at odd angles, etc. It's quite an entertaining fish :)

Back
Top Bottom