Sand or Gravel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not unless you are using an undergravel filter. Most of the bacteria will be in the filter. If your tank is well established, it will also be on every other surface of the tank.

Are undergravel filters even compatible with sand? I haven't used an UG filter silce the 1980s, and the plates on that one definitely would not have worked with sand. Not sure if the technology has changed much since then.

Are undergravel filters even compatible with sand? I haven't used an UG filter silce the 1980s, and the plates on that one definitely would not have worked with sand. Not sure if the technology has changed much since then.
With the right grain size sand you could presumably modify and run one with reverse flow.

Sorry, I wasn't trying to imply that they were. Merely, that unless you were using one, there should be no problem with removing the gravel.

Sorry, I wasn't trying to imply that they were. Merely, that unless you were using one, there should be no problem with removing the gravel.

I didn't think that you were implying that. I was just curious as to whether or not the UG filter technology has changed over the years to allow compatibility with sand.

Back
Top Bottom