Sand related questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WackyInsertions

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm in the process of upgrading my 10 gallon community tank to a 20 gallon, only this time I'm using sand. I bought a penguin 170 biowheel filter (I believe it's the one that says 'for aquariums up to 50 gallons') because I heard that sand can be a pain in the butt and needs a powerful filter. Well, when I mounted the filter, the suction part comes about an inch off of the sand. Is this going to be a problem (and potentially ruin my filter because it's catching too much sand)? I've read that you can put a sponge over the tube, but that seems to defeat the purpose of a filter entirely.

Also, I swear by BioSpira (the bacteria in a bag stuff). That in mind, would it be a bad idea to use that instead of poisoning feeder fish to establish the tank since it's sand? I guess my ultimate question is does it take a certain amount of time for the sand to be fish-ready, perhaps beyond when the loose sand settles?

In case it's going to come up later, I plan to have 5 cory cats and other assorted mid-dwellers.

Thanks.

I just started a 10g planted tank with sand/laterite. I've a Penguin 125 (?) in there as well (the one smaller then the 170), and while I started a fishless cycle, I jump started it about halfway thru with Bio-Spira (ammonia was disappearing overnite, nitrites were at 5 ppm, nitrates at 10 pmm prior to the Bio-Spira). Added it, did a big water change the next day, and I've 2 very happy gouramis in there now with only nitrates showing. The filter does not pick up any sand at all; I just have to be careful when I gravel vac.

Back
Top Bottom