SAND?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

madcurlyq

Aquarium Advice Activist
i really want sand in my 30gal amazon but i want a fluval canister filter is this ok what kind of filters do u use with sand and they say u can make a drip filter thing from a canister is this possible?:confused:

You can use any filter with sand pretty much. Just make sure the input is not right on top of the sand or it will suck up the sand lol. I have never had any problems with sand getting in my filters or anything. Just don't turn the filter on right after you add the sand, wait until it settles, then turn the filter on.

ok just wondering does it look good mixed it with black gravel and what kind of sand should i get

I wouldn't mix it with gravel. It would be near impossible to clean. Do a search there are tons of sand threads here.

Im not sure how it would look mixed with black gravel, you have to experiment with it and see how you like.

You could buy any type of sand really, pool filter sand is really cheap (But it is not made in black)
You could get sand made for live plants like eco complete black sand.

ok just wondering does it look good mixed it with black gravel and what kind of sand should i get

If your talking about adding sand to an existing gravel bed, the sand'll just settle between the gravel and sink. You'd have to add enough sand so that it basically level with the top of the gravel. It can be done, but you'll probably have to keep adding sand until all the spaces between the gravel gets filled.

This is actually what I'm doing with regular PFS in the front 1/3 area of my tank. I wait a few weeks for the sand to really sink, so then I can judge how much more to add. Black gravel mixed with PFS is actually a nice effect!(y)

If your talking about adding sand to an existing gravel bed, the sand'll just settle between the gravel and sink. You'd have to add enough sand so that it basically level with the top of the gravel. It can be done, but you'll probably have to keep adding sand until all the spaces between the gravel gets filled.

This is actually what I'm doing with regular PFS in the front 1/3 area of my tank. I wait a few weeks for the sand to really sink, so then I can judge how much more to add. Black gravel mixed with PFS is actually a nice effect!(y)
and this is good for plants cause i was thinking of doing a "carpet" of mini sword plants and hair grass with wood and taller plants growing on that in the back

o and how do u clean sand ....especially mixed with gravel?

o and how do u clean sand ....especially mixed with gravel?

I only gravel vac the back 1/3 of my tank where I only have gravel. In the area where I have the sand gravel mix is where my of my plants are. I don't vac there at all that area, I let any waste or food(highly unlikely with my fish:D) that lands there decompose. The ammonia will be used up by the plants and bacteria.

The way to vac sand is to put the end it about 1/2 above the sand and let the suction pull up the waste. PFS is generally coarse enough not to get sucked up.
If it does it doesn't go but about a 1/3 the way up the siphon before it sinks back into the tank.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom