sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bambithegirl

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi all, on a mission to buy sand today as im changing my gravel to sand to prepare for the corys im getting next week. What would you recommend? Pool filter sand, play sand or just the stuff I can get at the LFS (which usually comes in all colours). I prefer a natural looking tank so tan/white would be perfect. Just dont know the pros and cons of each. Thanks!

I'm spacing out, are you using real plants? I can't remember

If so, play sand isn't so good, it's too dense and will compact too tightly.

Pool filter sand is really pretty and has big enough granules that plants will do ok (just use root tabs)

Any sand at the LFS will be fine of course, just more expensive

Stuff from the LFS is often great but way too expensive for larger tanks. Play sand is a nightmare to get clean IME. PFS is abosolutely fantastic. The stuff I get at my farmers co-op is $15 for 25lbs and has a totally natural look.

I use play sand (non-planted tank). It takes time to clean it beforehand since it is composed of smaller granules. Never used pool filter sand so I can't comment on that. Sand from LFS is ridiculously expensive, so I've never used it either.

Jen yes I have 2 live plants one of which isnt looking so good but I reckon they will do better in the sand. I did the change and got pool filter sand which I bought for a bargain at a hardware store. R90 for 40kg. (i would guess about just over $10). It was very clean and I didnt have to rinse it much. Looks way better than the gravel and I am so excited to get my corys. Thanks again for all the help.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom