Saved goldfish :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yikes!!!! Yes, it does look like septicemia. And, internal antibiotics (med food) is the only treatment i know that works because its an internal infection in the digestive tract and/or blood. Poor water conditions can have the same effects but this is not your case. If you have any myaxin left, dose him & see if it helps at all. We will have to come up with a solution to treat him if this has no effect. Are you able to order goldfish food from the US? I have a suggestion if you think you can though shipping may take awhile.

jlk said:
Yikes!!!! Yes, it does look like septicemia. And, internal antibiotics (med food) is the only treatment i know that works because its an internal infection in the digestive tract and/or blood. Poor water conditions can have the same effects but this is not your case. If you have any myaxin left, dose him & see if it helps at all. We will have to come up with a solution to treat him if this has no effect. Are you able to order goldfish food from the US? I have a suggestion if you think you can though shipping may take awhile.

Ah CRAP!!! (insert other expletives here!)
It may and it may not get through customs. I can't see why not but you never know. I'm going to have to try.

jlk said:
I am sorry!!!! I just checked their site & they dont ship outside the US.... let me think on this!

Poo! Digging in my medicine cabinet now!

.....No luck. I messaged my mum to see if she has any. My dad got sick in Europe last time they where over there and got some really strong ones and I'm not sure if he finished the course or not. Fingers crossed!

Last edited:
A lot of medicated foods aren't available in Australia (think that's where you are lol) due to drug restrictions and laws sadly...

Also I have read that red streaks and clamped fins can be a sign of stress first before jumping straight to septacemia?

Scouser said:
A lot of medicated foods aren't available in Australia (think that's where you are lol) due to drug restrictions and laws sadly...

Also I have read that red streaks and clamped fins can be a sign of stress first before jumping straight to septacemia?

Thanks scouser. :) I thought of that first but its not going away. They have been in clean water for 2 months now, eat well (they love broccoli) and act normal (playing, chasing, bumping each other). He's got me really worried!

It's a pain in the but that we can't get any decent medication I've ether counter!

Last edited:
It's always worrying when you have a problem and the solution eludes you.

From your knowledge I assume the tank size is right etc so I'm struggling to find a problem.

Have you tested Ph recently? A shift in that would certainly cause stress in recently ill fish.

Scouser said:
It's always worrying when you have a problem and the solution eludes you.

From your knowledge I assume the tank size is right etc so I'm struggling to find a problem.

Have you tested Ph recently? A shift in that would certainly cause stress in recently ill fish.

Yep 40g, 3 goldies, 530g/h canister, checked the water yesterday (results a few posts up). They can from horrific conditions so they aren't the healthiest fish.

Found this;

"Store Cephalexin Suspension in the refrigerator, between 36 and 46 degrees F (2 and 8 degrees C). Do not freeze. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Cephalexin Suspension out of the reach of children and away from pets. Throw away any unused medicine after 14 days."

That's quite a bit colder than the weather you have I guess? Lol :)

Scouser said:
Found this;

"Store Cephalexin Suspension in the refrigerator, between 36 and 46 degrees F (2 and 8 degrees C). Do not freeze. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Cephalexin Suspension out of the reach of children and away from pets. Throw away any unused medicine after 14 days."

That's quite a bit colder than the weather you have I guess? Lol :)

Lol yes. Today is suppose to hit 32*C!
It's not a suspension though it's a pill but I'm guessing it's still stuffed.

Mumma.of.two said:
Lol yes. Today is suppose to hit 32*C!
It's not a suspension though it's a pill but I'm guessing it's still stuffed.

Hmm the pill may be different, I'll have a look while I'm waiting for the washer to finish.

While the Gf snores I do laundry :( lol

He's still acting completely normal and it hasn't gotten any worse in 4-5 days. Does anyone think he will be able to fight it off on his own? If I do find something to order, get it shipped, customs accepts it and then I get it it will probably be a month.

Mumma.of.two said:
He's still acting completely normal and it hasn't gotten any worse in 4-5 days. Does anyone think he will be able to fight it off on his own? If I do find something to order, get it shipped, customs accepts it and then I get it it will probably be a month.

A little bit of salt, maybe 0.1% to start may help?

Not sure when it comes to salt.

I did find this relating to your pills though :)

"STORAGE: Tablets and capsules should be stored at room temperature, 15-30°C (59-86°F"

Scouser said:
A little bit of salt, maybe 0.1% to start may help?

Not sure when it comes to salt.

I did find this relating to your pills though :)

"STORAGE: Tablets and capsules should be stored at room temperature, 15-30°C (59-86°F"

Thanks!

Ok this is the plan so far. Add salt 1 tablespoon per 10g to begin with then increase if needed. Does Myaxin (only med I have) and at least try the antibiotics I have.
I will have to do this in the DT coz the QT is in use.

Back
Top Bottom