Saving a Goldfish!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TigerFusion

Aquarium Advice Activist
A friend of my daughter took home a Goldfish from school about 2 years ago before summer vacation. Unfortunately, she did not realize or do the research regarding the fish she was going to house it with... She brought it home to a Bully!! A Fin Nipping Gourami :facepalm:

After seeing a Lot of Bullying, she added a tank separator. However, it is only a 10 gallon tank to begin with. The Gourami eventually broke the flimsy seperator and constantly nipped at the tail of the Goldfish. I found out about this around the time that I upgraded from a 10 gallon to a 75 gallon. Unfortunately, at that time she was not willing to give up either fish. I offered, but was turned down.

This morning, my daughter said the Goldfish was in Bad Shape... I went out and got a new filter (Fluval AquaClear 50) for my 10 gallon and put together a Hospital Tank! I added some of the Biomax from my Fluval 406 to the Aquaclear to jumpstart the cycle and used water from the 75g. Added Seachem Prime and API Quick Start.

Picked up the fish tonight and it was non too soon. The Gourami was Constantly chasing and nipping the tail of the Goldfish.... Even as I was netting him. His scales look terrible, almost looking like a crease down one side... Tail and Dorsal Fin are Shreaded and I am not sure, but it looks like her little catfish may have attached to it... Looks like a hickey near it's dorsal fin...

His name is Flounder and he is in my Hospital Tank now... I added API Melafix to help with the soars and fins... Please Pray for this little guy! He is showing good strength and ate immediately. (He was loosing weight due to competing heavily with the Gourami). I have a variety of goldfish pellets, flakes and frozen food to build up his strength and I will dose with Melafix daily until he looks better.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    255.2 KB · Views: 152
Thanks Everyone!!

Flounder is doing Very Well!! I have added Pimafix to the Melafix treatment as I read the combination helps the healing process.

After reading about goldfish diseases, I realized that the red mark was not from the algae eater in the previous owner's tank... I noticed more red splotches close to the tail... If I diagnosed correctly, they are Ammonia Burns! :(

I asked my daughter what her friend did to maintain the tank for the past 2 years this poor fish has been in... She said she changes the Tetra Whisper Filter once in a while... I asked if she has ever done a water change or vacuumed the gravel... The answer was "I don't have a gravel vac and how do you do a water change" :banghead: SERIOUSLY???!!!!!!!! (What? A few minutes a week and $10 for a gravel vac and bucket?) She can't spend a little money and time to take care of her Pets, but just invited my daughter to a Haunted House that costs $30!!! PRIORITIES PEOPLE!! Fish are Living Creatures!!!! If that was a Dog, she would be Arrested for Animal Abuse!!

That poor fish has been abused by a very aggressive Gourami, and lived in a Toxic Waste Dump!!! He wil Never go back to That!!! I feel bad for the Gourami and Corey Cat, but do not have another tank for them!! :(

Another pic of Flounder

Not the best pic, but you can see the dark patch by the tail that I believe to be Ammonia Burn, and of course the Shreaded Fins and Tail.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 114
I feel like crying when I read stories like this. That poor little fish! I am so pleased he is now with someone that will care for him properly - thank you!!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks to All!!

I appreciate the encouragement and well wishes for Flounder...

Actually, Flounder was the name given by the girl that tortured him...

We think he Earned a New Name for his New Life!

He has been to Hell and Back, and is as Tough as Nails to Survive such Poor Conditions.

We are going to call him... MAVERICK!!!

Pure "Top Gun" Material!!!

How is Maverick doing. I adopted my black moor Ludo, but when I saw the tank he was kept in I felt more like I was rescuing him. His current tank mate had died and the owner didn't want him to be lonely so ask if anyone could adopt said yes through a mutual friend. When I went to pick him up he was a 6inch black moor in a 15inch long tank which had dirty water in it and a tiny sponge filter. God those how she keep two goldfish in that tank no wonder the other one died. Ludo also has a clef lip I wondered whether it was a permanent injury sustained from the tiny environment. He is now in a 42 gallon tank and soon to be moved in to a 79 gallon with 3 3-4inch fancy friends.

People should not be allowed goldfish If they don't want to care for them properly. Can I ask what are you using to treat the burns. As I have brought a minnow who had this type of speckled redness near his gills and was told by another lfs that it was likely ammonia burns. im doseing with melafix at mo.

That poor goldfish, it honestly warms my heart just to think there are a few goldfish out there that don't die alone, trapped in a tiny puddle of water....

I wish you the best at bringing Maverick back to health, please let us know how he is doing!

Maverick is doing well. His fins are not clenched so I know he is at least not stressed. I believe the only way to heal the Ammonia burns is to keep up with water changes and testing. I am treating the Fin Rot with Melafix and Pimafix (for the last week) but just found out today that you are not only supposed to remove Active Carbon (which I did) but All Chemical filtration media... I had left in an Ammonia Removing Media, but was told that could remove some medicine.
Maverick's tail and dorsal fin still look horrible. They are torn, still have some white spots on them (not like ick) and the torn tips are black. He still has a long way to go.

Hope to be upgrading my hospital tank to a 30 gallon breeder in about a week. Maverick is a big dude and now that he is feeling better I think he needs the 36" x 18" footprint (same as 40 breeder, just not as tall). I will be adding a second Aquaclear 50 HOB Filter. I may switch him from Melafix & Pimafix to Seachem Paraguard so I can add back the active carbon filter (or Seachem Seagel). His tank is So Cloudy with no Chemical Filtration. Even with doing frequent water changes.

Maverick

Here is a new pic of Maverick. I believe his fins are starting to grow back, but Very Slowely. The black is starting to fade a bit too.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    171.9 KB · Views: 113
The little guy is really coming on. You are doing a fantastic job!

Please do continue to keep us posted - love to hear Maverick's news :0)

The little guy is really coming on. You are doing a fantastic job!

Please do continue to keep us posted - love to hear Maverick's news :0)

+1

Fishobsessed7

Back
Top Bottom