Scott's 55 gallon reef build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
scottayy said:
Well, RIP BTA.

I put the maxi jet in there to agitate the surface water. I didn't pay attention to the size of the openings on it - much larger than the koralia. The anemone found his way in there and got chewed up. I removed what I could.. I hope this doesn't foul up my water too bad.

He was so stressed from the clownfish I almost feel a little relief for him but I'm sad at the same time.

Sorry about the loss

The water is all cloudy, but my skimmer had a big chunk of goo in it and my filter sock was lined with slimy stuff. I removed the pump so I think all of it is out. Making some rodi water for a water change.

I thought about it today- here is the same coral you have in my tank. So you can see why I'm thinking yours is bleached...

img_1928857_0_e683796b64459eb278c3eacfa912d07b.jpg

Hmm I'm not quite sure if it's the same. But maybe it is. That's the colors of my more traditional frogspawn. That's a nice one.. is that 4 heads?

Will corals still thrive and grow if they are bleached? Because that one has grown and as you can see is looking pretty healthy.

I'm definitely going to move it down though, in case it is bleached.

scottayy said:
Hmm I'm not quite sure if it's the same. But maybe it is. That's the colors of my more traditional frogspawn. That's a nice one.. is that 4 heads?

Will corals still thrive and grow if they are bleached? Because that one has grown and as you can see is looking pretty healthy.

I'm definitely going to move it down though, in case it is bleached.

It's 6 heads- but it was moving to much to get a good pic. Lol.

They can still grow when bleached. I had a branching hammer bleach on me when I switched to LEDs. All I did to get its color back was move it to the sand in the outskirts of the tank where the lighting was less under a rock cliff and target feed it daily with Brightwell RESTOR and phyto. Now it's bright green and purple again and mid tank fully adjusted to the lighting.

Cool thanks for the tips. Waiting on my rocks before I rearrange.

And I'm more concerned about my water quality now. Seems my RODI filter is working at about half production but still testing 0ppm tds. Means it's likely clogged somewhere. I was preparing to do a bunch of water changes because I don't know how bad a cloudy tank from a dead anemone is (i should test the parameters but that might not matter because I read they can be mildly toxic when dead? so I want to get that water out asap).

Put in my moonlights that I received today. Just put them on the hanging LED lights using the double sided stickers. Can't tell how cool they are yet because I still have two layers of window screen between the lights and the tank. But I have one of these on my 10 gallon and it is pretty awesome so I expect the same awesomeness out of 2 on this 55.

img_1929259_0_6076fb75f4252b309ed8ed838360d308.jpg

img_1929259_1_f88fa59999704e99abd712810da1d80b.jpg

Still not optimum but not as bad. I think my regular weekly water change should make things OK.

You just hung the moonlights directly onto your LEDs that are hanging above the tank? I would LOVE to know more about those things. I have been looking for moonlights for my 55 and just can't find something locally period and a google search isn't much help either...I haven't had much time to research it. Going to toss up any pics of them in action?

I can't take any moonlight pics right now because I still have two layers of window screen up for acclimating my corals to the powerful LED lights.

Even under two layers of window screen though the tank is illuminated with a soft blue glow.

On my 10 gallon, the light isn't very bright (it's moonlights after all), but it does light up the tank nicely and if you have surface water movement it has the rippling shimmering effect and looks really nice.

Got them from here if you want to take a look and read the reviews:
R2 Solutions Extreme LED Moonlights

The one pictured above is the dual version.

Used them on my 90g. Had to close my door at night they where so bright... Lol

Really? How many do you have? I don't find that the case at all. Very peaceful and relaxing to look at.. would make a nice nightlight lol.

scottayy said:
Really? How many do you have? I don't find that the case at all. Very peaceful and relaxing to look at.. would make a nice nightlight lol.

I don't have the 90g anymore, but had two.

Would be a nice addition hank :)
I take off a layer of window screen tomorrow, and then the final layer a week from tomorrow. I'll make a video then if you want to wait.

scottayy said:
Would be a nice addition hank :)
I take off a layer of window screen tomorrow, and then the final layer a week from tomorrow. I'll make a video then if you want to wait.

I'd like to see a video. Will it go on you tube? For some reason on my iPhone app I can't view your photos. Just yours though... Everyone else I can see fine. It's weird. I have a 55 gal. freshwater tank. Would those moonlights work? I have the glass tips on mine. I really want some moonlights.

Those moonlights would work no matter what the tank. They are literally peel and stick adhesive so they would need something above the tank to be stuck to. Like Scott, I would choose my hanging LEDs.

I use photobucket, can you see photobucket photos?

Yeah you could stick them to your glass tops or the back of the tank or mount them with the screws to something nearby.

scottayy said:
I use photobucket, can you see photobucket photos?

Yeah you could stick them to your glass tops or the back of the tank or mount them with the screws to something nearby.

I guess if I went online I would be able to see them. I don't know why the iPhone app always says connection errors.

Thank you for the info on the lights. Did you remove a window screen yesterday? How are all the corals doing?

Back
Top Bottom