Scott's 55 gallon reef build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I should, lol. And it was cheaper at my LFS than there. I got it for $60, that says $90.

Yeah they finally stepped it up in the coral game. They have some acros and montis I want to pick up now.

Just picked up some frags. Acclimating now.

Green Acropora
red gonipora (red flower pot coral)
blue favia (blue moonstone coral)
kenya tree
hammer

Here they are

acro
img_1941038_0_5a251f7da2d52446f489d9d760c96538.jpg

gonipora (hasn't opened up yet)
img_1941038_1_dd806e49ef277441b44ad26ac26b3542.jpg

hammer (hasn't fully opened up yet)
img_1941038_2_b8185b0b674b7a2f34de71c3210cfc2a.jpg

kenya tree
img_1941038_3_03f9bbb38ccef7964234e83710d2f072.jpg

blue favia
img_1941038_4_d75827216bcc9bc0e964545be6904112.jpg

Very nice. Just be careful with the flowerpot. They are not easy to keep alive in the aquarium.

Yeah, I read that. My water is pretty good since I do weekly 25% water changes. But it was open and thriving in the LFS tank which I'm sure was less than premium.

Hey Jodi, should I feed at night time or day time? I thought it made sense to feed when the lights are on when everything is opened up.

But I see the candy cane, plate coral, and some others have their tentacles out at night. Maybe I should feed at night instead? Or both?

scottayy said:
Hey Jodi, should I feed at night time or day time? I thought it made sense to feed when the lights are on when everything is opened up.

But I see the candy cane, plate coral, and some others have their tentacles out at night. Maybe I should feed at night instead? Or both?

Feed when their feeder tentacles are out

Well **** I've been doing that all wrong then. So there's no point in feeding when the lights are on.

scottayy said:
Well **** I've been doing that all wrong then. So there's no point in feeding when the lights are on.

The oyster will help them extend their feeders. My war coral pops it's feeders out as soon as the oyster juice hits the tank. Then I drop in the phyto shortly after. This is also a good way to train your corals onto a schedule

I can train my corals? Even to feed during the daytime?

Also, what to do with a bleached frogspawn and plate coral? Is it too much light or not enough light? The plate corals is at the bottom of the tank but he was bleached under year old t5's before the switch to these LEDs. The frogspawn was fine until it got stung by my deceased bubble tip anemone. But he closed up for like a month and came back/grew back kind of transparent in the tentacles.

Also, my GSP refuses to open most of the time. Water all checks out and every other coral is doing well.

scottayy said:

Also, what to do with a bleached frogspawn and plate coral? Is it too much light or not enough light? The plate corals is at the bottom of the tank but he was bleached under year old t5's before the switch to these LEDs. The frogspawn was fine until it got stung by my deceased bubble tip anemone. But he closed up for like a month and came back/grew back kind of transparent in the tentacles.

Also, my GSP refuses to open most of the time. Water all checks out and every other coral is doing well.

Frogspawns normally get transparent in the tentacles when they don't have enough light. At least that is what I experienced. With the light I have I had to put mine at the highest part of my tank. That is of course why I am looking at the light you bought but I am trying to find the ones that can be controlled by a controller.

Yes, you can train corals to feed during the daytime. TBH, never done it myself. I have a mix of corals with some that some will feed during lights on and others won't until lights off. Doesn't really bother me since I have a mix of day and night shifts.

I think the reason the frogspawn is transparent is from being closed up for a month after the sting. I see some purple color and the bottom of his tentacles so I'm thinking he'll make a recovery.

And I'm thinking the plate coral was starving, but I saw him snatch up a small piece of formula one cube today (i didn't know they had a mouth!).

So I'm thinking I can bring these two back to good health.

scottayy said:

You can train them by consistency. You follow a set schedule and everything in the tank will follow .
Try moving plate coral out of direct light to under a ledge.
Frogspawns are hardy- try target feeding small brine shrimp an medium flow.

GSP- the one I have do great in medium flow and lots of light. It does take a week to adjust to the area and open up.

No expert here but this worked for me.

Thanks. I'll try that with the plate coral. You really think he could be getting too much light all the way on the sand bed?

I think the GSP isn't opening up because of the bubble tipped anemone too. There were several times he'd go waterborn and land upside down on it. It's a relief not to have anemone's anymore.

Back
Top Bottom