Scott's 55 gallon reef build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bearchumjs said:
I guess if I went online I would be able to see them. I don't know why the iPhone app always says connection errors.

Thank you for the info on the lights. Did you remove a window screen yesterday? How are all the corals doing?

Click the text that has the photo not the photo and then you'll see a blue photobucket link then press that :)

Thanks for asking. Corals are all doing great, really open and loving the light. Yep, removed a layer and did a PWC. Water is crystal clear and the lights are pretty bright even with the one layer still on.

Can't wait till my rock gets here! But it looks like it could be a while.

Actually I do have an update, lol.

I did another 25% water change, so that's 50% over the last 3 days - just to be sure. Changed the carbon and gfo in the reactor. Flipped the background over (back to the striped one). Added a koralia 750gph where the 240gph one was and put the 240 one near the top to ripple the surface water for a shimmering effect with the LEDs.

One question: How can I tell when a softy is getting too much flow? For example, my anthelias was always coming off of the sand band and I think it's getting ripped out more now. Should I attach it to a rock?

crappy FTS:
img_1934343_0_bc8294a529f56d99ed6ba9b724ae59c4.jpg

And, is this FINALLY purple coraline starting to grow on my pump?
img_1934343_1_076f62941665718fddb16e623514dd25.jpg

Finally dang I've been trying to get it to grow for forever. I wonder what the difference has been. Only thing I've done different is the switchover to the LED lights. That could be it, but plenty of people grow coraline under t5's. hmmm.

Also I was debating getting another BTA but I don't think I'm going to. I wrote hydor and they informed me they don't make foam covers for koralias. I don't want to DIY one cuz it'd be ugly and I'd have to clean it a lot. Oh well.

Anyone have any ideas what this is? There are stalks growing out of my dead pipe organ skeleton. And a bunch of black tar looking stuff.

img_1936377_0_3a64499a726b48f180270ddf21d301c6.jpg

Maybe. I will touch the stalks and tar stuff later and see what it feels like hehehe. But the stalks look stiff, and haven't moved in a few days since I noticed them, so I don't think they're worms.

I think they are a type of worm. (I can't remember the name though.). They can irritate corals because they catch particulate matter by casting a mucus net.

Rutrag said:
I think they are a type of worm. (I can't remember the name though.). They can irritate corals because they catch particulate matter by casting a mucus net.

Spionid worms. They can irritate some corals. They burrow in rockwork sometimes. Other times their tubes are more calcified

Yes, I do believe they are worm tubes now after looking at those pages. I just can't tell what kind. I was feeling it earlier and it broke off. Very brittle, so probably a calciferous tube? None of my corals seem to be bothered though, so I guess they are harmless?

Picked up a red brain coral today. It sure glows under the LEDs.. can't wait to see it under actinics only. I'll post pictures after it settles in.

Almost grabbed a couple acropora's and some monti caps. But with upcoming rockwork potentially dirtying the water and with 1 layer of window screen still left I exercised my restraint and didn't get them. :-D

Picked up some marine snow and oyster feast. All I've been feeding is phytoplankton, so I'm anxious to try it. I heard they really love the oyster feast.

scottayy said:
Yes, I do believe they are worm tubes now after looking at those pages. I just can't tell what kind. I was feeling it earlier and it broke off. Very brittle, so probably a calciferous tube? None of my corals seem to be bothered though, so I guess they are harmless?

Picked up a red brain coral today. It sure glows under the LEDs.. can't wait to see it under actinics only. I'll post pictures after it settles in.

Almost grabbed a couple acropora's and some monti caps. But with upcoming rockwork potentially dirtying the water and with 1 layer of window screen still left I exercised my restraint and didn't get them. :-D

Picked up some marine snow and oyster feast. All I've been feeding is phytoplankton, so I'm anxious to try it. I heard they really love the oyster feast.

Oyster actually helps make the corals stick their feeders out. I put some in about 5-10 minutes before the phyto

I will try that too. Or mix it together. Phyto, marine snow, oyster feast.

Rocks are here!

I guess it's Coral Frenzy not oyster feast. I asked for oyster feast. Oh well, the corals seemed to love it. The leathers got super fuzzy.

Attachments

• 2012-05-11 12.14.08.jpg
    2012-05-11 12.14.08.jpg
    245.8 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_20120511_110737.jpg
    IMG_20120511_110737.jpg
    211.3 KB · Views: 102
Thank you, I really like it.

Got some of my new rock in.. probably only 35 lbs, so it's 85 lbs total in there. I wanted the full, busy, crowded look.. I think I accomplished it lol.

Attachments

• 2012-05-11 15.10.03.jpg
    2012-05-11 15.10.03.jpg
    201.3 KB · Views: 103
Back
Top Bottom