Scott's 55 gallon reef build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks jodi! I've never supplemented magnesium.. and really have never even supplemented anything except for a few times a long time ago. Any reason why my magnesium is always at 1500 or a little bit higher? I use reef crystals. Does this high of magnesium have negative effects?

Maybe I should change 25% every two weeks and just dose calcium and kh?

scottayy said:
Thanks jodi! I've never supplemented magnesium.. and really have never even supplemented anything except for a few times a long time ago. Any reason why my magnesium is always at 1500 or a little bit higher? I use reef crystals. Does this high of magnesium have negative effects?

Maybe I should change 25% every two weeks and just dose calcium and kh?

The reef crystals probably have that level of magnesium. When u make new water test it before adding it to the DT. Let me see if I can find that information again for you.

Dosed calcium yesterday, alk today. I must've overdosed the calcium.. don't really see how. I followed the instructions very carefully and even measured with an actual teaspoon measuring thingy. =/ Anyways it is a hair under 400 now.

Dosed alk today. I dosed enough to bring it up .5 meq/l - whatever that translates to in dKH. Will check tomorrow. Also about to mix my salt and will test that before I do my water change.

I'm keeping a spreadsheet so I can see the trends visually after I bring those up a little bit. Maybe I can get on a dosing schedule.

Thanks guys :)

Great thread bro! I would love to see some pics of your tank. A spreadsheet makes reef keeping so much I feel like too!

Spreadsheets are good to see the progress. If you have an iPhone there an app that helps track everything for you called aquaplanner

Okay I'll check those out. I have an android phone. It's pretty easy with google drive using a google docs spreadsheet.

I tested new water before I put it in. pH 8.1, ca 460, dKH 9.5.

My water before the water change was pH 7.9, ca 420, dkH 8.5. I'll probably shoot to bring the dKH up to 10 and that should bring my pH up a little bit, but I'm not really worried about that because it is stable. Then I will get on a dosing schedule.

How often do you guys do PWC's and test and supplement?

I do water checks pre and post weekly water changes and dose if needed. Mag and iodide tests I do every other week (more expensive but more stable in my system)

Water changes weekly on the 55. Biweekly on the 36. I have beem testing almost never recently as ive been working a ton and g/f time. Bad habit im falling into due to that. I never dose though. My ph is ~7.9 and i dont worry about it. Last time i did and dosed i started causing problems.

Okay I will keep up on my routine though. And keep up on the tests. I've reached a point where keeping fish was cool. Then I was able to keep corals (somewhat). Now I want to reach the point where they're all thriving and growing. It seems like I have something that is bothering me with each coral that I can't find the answers too. Maybe I'll take a video of them and ask questions.

Okay, here's my video. It is .mp4 so I don't know how many of you can view it.

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B1fcPOBDT4ibdTBtcDNLa0MwOUU

In order of appearance in the video, here's my corals and questions/problems with each

Candy Cane coral - Is it bleached? That's the same color as when I bought it. However, it has split multiple times since I have had it and is growing nicely.

Bubble coral - growing really nice! everything seems well with this one. Except it is growing on a plug stuck into the sand and has covered all space it has to grow. Will it continue growing off of the plug across the sand or should I cut the stick off of the plug and attach it to a rock for it to continue growing?

Mushrooms - doing great no problems

Octo/frogspawn - This usually does pretty good. No problems except it doesn't open up fully some of the time. I understand it might be a little bleached as well?

Duncan coral - This has grown 4 new heads since I've had it and it usually does pretty good. Sometimes it doesn't open all of the way up. Is it bleached?

Zoas - doing good. maybe a tiny bit of loss in color (seems dulled a little bit). I want it to spread onto the other rocks close to it but so far it's not. It has only been a few weeks in that spot though.

Anthelias - does good. sustains life. When I got it it was like 5 total stalks.. but that was like 6 months ago or longer. Why won't it grow fast like everyone says it does? Is it because it is on the sand and not attached to anything?

brain coral - seems to be doing okay. it seems duller than when i bought it.. as if the red has faded to a deep orange.

frogspawn - it is bleached. having a hard time bringing its color back, even with spot feeds (what should I spot feed it? should I move it?) however it is growing

hammer - it is fading color rapidly. only got it a few weeks ago.

green acropora - probably my most thriving coral (tie with the bubble). Vibrant color, nice growth since I got it.

favite/brain - bleaching/dulling

kenya tree - this is usually open.. figures it would be closed when I'm doing a video lol. It is growing thicker and longer and noticed a couple of new branches.

plate coral - bleached, malnutritioned. I began spot feeding with plankton, brine shrimp, and chunks of silversides. also moved it under a ledge. It inflates again (didn't use to) and still waiting for the color to come back in it.

branching hammer - one side got stung by bta and died. the other side is usually more open than that, but it is severely bleached and doesn't grow (i don't think). there is very little flow here.

One thing I did not show in the video is my thick finger leather I have in the sand bed. It used to be inflated about 2x more than it is now. Now it doesn't inflate nearly as much but still gets super fuzzy around feeding time.

Any suggestions (moving, flow, nutrition, lighting, etc?) for anything to help them thrive and grow better? Really looking forward to your input!!

scottayy said:
Okay, here's my video. It is .mp4 so I don't know how many of you can view it.

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B1fcPOBDT4ibdTBtcDNLa0MwOUU

In order of appearance in the video, here's my corals and questions/problems with each

Candy Cane coral - Is it bleached? That's the same color as when I bought it. However, it has split multiple times since I have had it and is growing nicely.

Bubble coral - growing really nice! everything seems well with this one. Except it is growing on a plug stuck into the sand and has covered all space it has to grow. Will it continue growing off of the plug across the sand or should I cut the stick off of the plug and attach it to a rock for it to continue growing?

Mushrooms - doing great no problems

Octo/frogspawn - This usually does pretty good. No problems except it doesn't open up fully some of the time. I understand it might be a little bleached as well?

Duncan coral - This has grown 4 new heads since I've had it and it usually does pretty good. Sometimes it doesn't open all of the way up. Is it bleached?

Zoas - doing good. maybe a tiny bit of loss in color (seems dulled a little bit). I want it to spread onto the other rocks close to it but so far it's not. It has only been a few weeks in that spot though.

Anthelias - does good. sustains life. When I got it it was like 5 total stalks.. but that was like 6 months ago or longer. Why won't it grow fast like everyone says it does? Is it because it is on the sand and not attached to anything?

brain coral - seems to be doing okay. it seems duller than when i bought it.. as if the red has faded to a deep orange.

frogspawn - it is bleached. having a hard time bringing its color back, even with spot feeds (what should I spot feed it? should I move it?) however it is growing

hammer - it is fading color rapidly. only got it a few weeks ago.

green acropora - probably my most thriving coral (tie with the bubble). Vibrant color, nice growth since I got it.

favite/brain - bleaching/dulling

kenya tree - this is usually open.. figures it would be closed when I'm doing a video lol. It is growing thicker and longer and noticed a couple of new branches.

plate coral - bleached, malnutritioned. I began spot feeding with plankton, brine shrimp, and chunks of silversides. also moved it under a ledge. It inflates again (didn't use to) and still waiting for the color to come back in it.

branching hammer - one side got stung by bta and died. the other side is usually more open than that, but it is severely bleached and doesn't grow (i don't think). there is very little flow here.

One thing I did not show in the video is my thick finger leather I have in the sand bed. It used to be inflated about 2x more than it is now. Now it doesn't inflate nearly as much but still gets super fuzzy around feeding time.

Any suggestions (moving, flow, nutrition, lighting, etc?) for anything to help them thrive and grow better? Really looking forward to your input!!

If the candy is splitting new heads I can't see it being unhappy.

Bubble corals do better in Rock. They need the rock to help build more skeleton.

The octo could close if a fish swims to close to it. Can't see the video- but from what I remember it did look bleached.

Zoas look bland of not in enough light. Try moving them higher in the tank.

For the waving hand- not always an easy coral. Do you test iodine? I think you do. Not 100% sure. They need higher light and higher flow. Mine are in direct line of the larger power head but on the opposite side of the tank directly under the main light.

Frogspawn- takes a little bit to get the color back. Just keep spot feeding it. I use brightwells restore. Some use repair. It helps bring it back IMO. Just keep it out of direct light with the proper flow. I moved mine under a cliff when I first switched to LEDs and it bleached. Now it's happier and brighter than ever.

Hammer- if it still bleaching do the same as with the frogspawn. With LEDs you will find most of your euphillia will be near the bottom of the tank. Most LFS don't use LEDs so they have to be acclimated over time in the personal tank with LEDs.

Plate- its it is blowing up- it means it is happy again. Just keep spot feeding. Try the repair or restor with oyster and phyto (will work for all of them). You could even mince oyster for extra meat in the mix.

Finger leather- needs good flow. Mine is pretty much right next to my power head in height and flow terms.

If I remember correctly your calcium was low and you hadn't checked it for a whole before that. This could be the case in the corals not being happy as well. It's just going to take time to bring them back but it can be done. Make sure to keep your calcium and other trace elements in the correct parameters, and spot feed the trouble corals and all will be fine

Sorry it was so long winded. Lol. But without seeing the video I'm just trying to help as much as possible. Maybe someone that saw it will be able to help more.

Why don't you upload your videos to YouTube? With Photobucket it looks like a bunch of still shots with sound.

Both of the video links work fine for me.. the google docs hosted one looks best, higher resolution. Plus I think it will play automatically on android phones just by clicking the link.

Don't really want to upload again to youtube (that would make 3 times) and it takes forever from my phone.

But I will if I have to :p

Back
Top Bottom