Sea Stars

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zer0

is back to save the day!
Well, this is just a question or two about these critters. But in any case, once my tank is cycled and all, could i add something like a brittle sea star? It says in liveaquaria.com that brittle sea stars are good for beginners. Anyone think differently?

I can't see a problem with it. Just be sure that nothing you get later will hurt it. Also remember that under NO circumstances do you put a copper medicine in the water with inverts and/or live rock or sand.

Link, I just got a chocolate chip star the other day and its doing great! Its an awesome invert to have I think. He kinda moves all around the tank, all around the rock. I think hes still tryin to get a feel for the tank and then he'll probably find a good spot for himself. I highly reccomend getting a starfish though! Good luck!

BTW, my tank is a FOWLR so I can have the choc chip starfish, they are bad w/ coral though so you cant really put them in a reef tank.

The pic is of what my guy looks like :D

Attachments

• chocolatechipstar.jpg
    chocolatechipstar.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 86
Yeah i was reading up on the CC starfish because they are uber cool looking. But i was thinking of just getting like a nice brittle sea star. Or that nice looking soft blue one. But idk, ill have to see which ones are compatible with reefs. Thanks for the info dude!

Btw, how much room does 30lbs of LR take up in your 29G?

Yeah i was reading up on the CC starfish because they are uber cool looking. But i was thinking of just getting like a nice brittle sea star. Or that nice looking soft blue one. But idk, ill have to see which ones are compatible with reefs. Thanks for the info dude!

Btw, how much room does 30lbs of LR take up in your 29G?

You know, it doesnt take up too much room. I have quite a few big pieces in there but Im happy with my set-up. Here is the link to some of my pics, if it doesnt work, go to the SW tank showcase and its under the thread title: My 29g BioCube

I see. I forgot i even posted in that thread xD Thanks for the info though.

I have a brittle in my tank. He doesn't bother anything, but I only see his arms reaching out to grab food. Pretty neat.

I agree, those should be fine. Just don't go for a sand sifting star since they tend to starve.

Thanks for posting the correct name (Sea star) in the thread title. :)

Shark, I'm not too sure if you would want two stars in a smaller tank. I doubt they would have issues with each other, my fear would be food availability. The red one also gets up to about 6 inches....

Back
Top Bottom