Sea Stars

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ya, i agree. I plan on getting 2 but i have a 90 gallon tank on the other hand.

the soft blue one you are talking about are you talking about a linka? If so from personel experience they are not the easiest of stars to keep.

get a blue one, theyre pretty and even though they can be kind of hard to take ccre of for eginners, they are very entertaining

Just make sure you dont expose it to air or it will not make it.

Is that seriously one of the reasons it is hard to take care of? because it cant be exposed to air at all. Or is it just a for extended periods out of the water and in the air? Does this mean you couldn't lift it out of the tank and transport it to another tank 10 feet away?

well you still wouldnt want to do that even if it woulnt hurt it to be in air that long it still has to be acclimated to the other tank i doubt you have two tanks that have the same exact parameters.

well you still wouldnt want to do that even if it woulnt hurt it to be in air that long it still has to be acclimated to the other tank i doubt you have two tanks that have the same exact parameters.

Well thats true. I was just using that as a example. All i am trying to say is even if it was exposed for just like 10 or 20 seconds it could kill it?

i have to say let mike answer that one i am not a big star person i have a sandsifter but thats all and he is out of the tank for 10 15 seconds at a time when i need to do something so i dont accidentally put something on top of him cause when he burrows you forget were he is lol

This is what the good doctors say, " The Blue Linckia Sea Star should never be exposed to air while handling". Here is the whole article

Saltwater Aquarium Starfish for Marine Reef Aquariums: Linckia Sea Star, Blue

I have three of them. None were ever exposed to air on my part anyway. I would make sure of a mature tank before you get one. As you can see in the article they are really sensitive to changes.

100_1046.JPG

100_0574.JPG

000_0252.JPG

Well it does not say but I would think one in a 55 or maybe even a 75 gallon tank.

This is what the good doctors say, " The Blue Linckia Sea Star should never be exposed to air while handling". Here is the whole article

Saltwater Aquarium Starfish for Marine Reef Aquariums: Linckia Sea Star, Blue

I have three of them. None were ever exposed to air on my part anyway. I would make sure of a mature tank before you get one. As you can see in the article they are really sensitive to changes.

100_1046.JPG

100_0574.JPG

000_0252.JPG

wow, thanks for the info. I think i might just nab one or two when my tank is up and running and is plenty mature. thanks again mike.:cool:

Sweet star Thincat! Those zoas are nice too. :)

Wow you guys posted alot! I liked reading up on what you guys had to say! I was planning on getting just one brittle sea star. Just to switchup the diversity in the tank. Its a cool looking sea star and fun to watch and easy to take care of from what i've heard and read, so its probably going to be one of those. Thanks for all the experience and support in this thread guys!

Thanks guys. He hides days at a time and makes me worry. But he pops up and looks great. I also have some brittle stars I'm trying to locate.

Back
Top Bottom