seachem matrix and pond matrix

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tomasm87

Aquarium Advice Activist
Has any one tried or used either of these? I'm thinking of using it in a large canister filter since I can get large amounts of it.

Yes I have 5g of pond matrix in my sump. It is suppose to reduce nitrates, but over the time the pores clog up and renders the nitrate reducing factor useless. The reps say to rinse the matrix with RO water every few months to keep them going.

Its still good biological media just like any other media, but its more expensive since the selling point is nitrate reducer. I did a trial on this before I add all my matrix into a sump. I did not detect any reduction of nitrates, so it has not proven to work for me. Maybe my nitrAtes was too high, but I never bothered changing the water and starting with lower nitrAtes.

They are both the same. Dont fall for any sales opinion. You do the same amount of maintenance as any other media. The matrix cost more for just for the nitrate reducer factor which might not even work.

Just think of both as any other media you buy. There is no media that reduces the frequency of maintenance and water changes.

Back
Top Bottom