Seachem Matrix vs. Seachem Purigen

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nazira03

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello!

So I'm ordering some stuff online and both of the filter media's are on sale. I am wanting to put something in my filters other than ceramic media to provide a space for bacteria as well as have some other benefits (removing ammonia and nitrites for example). I am having a hard time choosing between both of these. Which one do you guys suggest and why?

I use both because they do completely different things. There is no choice between the two.
Matrix is a bio-media that has enormous surface area, externally and internally.
Purigen is a polymer that absorbs organic compounds and other chemicals and can be recharged up to six times.

Which do you think is best then, a media that absorbs toxic compounds or a filter media that provides housing for good bacteria that eat toxic compounds?

Which do you think is best then, a media that absorbs toxic compounds or a filter media that provides housing for good bacteria that eat toxic compounds?

ideally both should be used in a system, but if forced to choose between one or the other, biological media is more important, IMO.

Also, does the matrix need replacing after a period of time?

no, matrix will last indefinitely

Back
Top Bottom