Second filter for Eclipse 12

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dimdem

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a Marineland Eclipse 12 aquarium. I'm kind of interested in adding a second filter, in addition to the one built into the hood. One reason is that I don't think that the built in one is all that special, especially in terms of eliminating particles from the water. Another is that folks in another thread helped me decide that I need to use crushed coral to boost kh, and a filter where I could add my own media would be an easy way to do that. The Eclipse 12's great virtue is also its great liability, though. That nifty hood seals so well that it is not going to be easy to give another filter acccess to the water. I'm guessing that a HOB filter wouldn't work unless I cut the hood, which I am loath to do. Could anyone familiar with the Eclipse 12 give me an opinion about whether I could use a canister filter, and run the tubes in through the small hole in the hood that is for cords?

Let me come at this a second way. With a canister filter, what exactly extends into the tank? Is it just a couple of flexible tubes, or is there some rigid plastic part that hangs on the edge of the aquarium?

I have the Eclipse 1 hood on a 10 gallon tank in my son's room and I'm also quite interested in knowing if this would work.

I have the XP series and the flex tube is only from the canister to the top of the tank. From there, where it goes over the top and into the tank is solid plastic tubing.

Anyone know of a small, inexpensive canister filter of which this isn't true?

Back
Top Bottom