Seeding... now what?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

granny50

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok, I am getting my friends used filter media today and some of her gravel. Tell me if I am right, I either add some amonia to this or put in some fish to help cycle my tank, the question is what kind of fish and how many? I have a 46 gallon bow tank. Also if I add just the amonia would it be something like half a teaspoon.

Just wanted to say that all the help is great and I really appreciate it.

Thank You

Fishless cycling is the preferred method. In my signature is an article on it, explaining how to go about it. Add the seed material and the ammonia, and follow the article. post how it's going and we'll help you along the way!

With fish you want a hardy fish.
I have used Zebra Danios to cycle with and never lost a single one.
I used to keep a school of 10 in my 46 gallon, you don't need that many but they do like to school so at least 4 or 5.
Amonia? I used 1/2 teaspoon in my 75 gallon but concentrations vary so start out low. It is easier to add more rather than have to change water because you have too much.
I used 3ppm amonia level to fishless cycle with great results.
You will need a good pure amonia with no additives. Shake the bottle, it should act like shaking water, if it forms any bubbles it is not good to use.
The only place most members here, myself included, have been able to find adequate amonia is Ace hardware with the Ace brand industrial amonia 10% amonium hydroxide.
In either method a good test kit is a must as the amonia, nitrite and nitrate need to be closely monitered. I recommend the API freshwater master test kit.
PS: if cycling with fish never let amonia or nitrite get above 1ppm at the most, partial water changes are required for a fishy cycle.

Danios did the trick for me. Not sure if I want them around for the long haul, but they did great after my fishless cycle. Now I'm stocked up, water's clear, running great.

In addition to the ACE Hardware Store brand ammonia, I have also heard claims that Piggily Wiggily store brand is also just ammonia (no soap or sufficants added), but I can't veryify that.

Back
Top Bottom