Seeking Nanoadvice...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Phlegethon

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello -

I have a 15 gallon tall nano-reef that is one month old. 20lbs live rook, 20lbs live sand. The only equipment is an Aquaclear500 filled with 4lbs of live rock rubble, a heater and a carbon insert. So far, so good. Cycle is finished, parameters are good, algae is under control. I have a small cleanup crew and no fish (2 percs eventually). I use "Reef Crystals" to mix new water and don't add anything else. I do a 10% water change every week. My question is, do I need a protein skimmer? And if so, which one would be a good one to get, bearing in mind that I do not want to totally replace my AC500?

As long as you do regular water changes as a means of export, the skimmer is not necessary. You'll find the smaller the tank the more water changes will be the simplest solution for many things. The 10% weekly changes your doing now would be just fine but be very sure the media in the Aquaclear is cleaned out at least weekly and only rinsed in SW not fresh.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom