Semi-submerged Plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquafreak

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi,

I set up a water based vivarium today.

The substrate is about 3" of Ecocomplete with probably 100 watts of lighting. The tank size is 40 gallons (filled 3/7th). I'm also adding large rocks for habitat for yellow minnows.

Question: What plants are able to tolerate some exposure out of the water? Do you have any recommendations?

:arrow:

Most of our aquatic plants grow out of water in nature. As you research look for "emersed" and "paludarium" for your project. Assuming the tank has a lid to keep humidity I think you will be successful. Suggest you add some rotala and ludwigia species simply because they grow fast. My submerged crypts leaves die as they head to the surface, but it may be my fault (I am a beginner with emersed growth). You should definitely try crypts where the water is shallow and new leaves break the surface, as well as in the land feature assuming there is moisture there. Some good links:
HowTos from the crypt pages
Lucid central has lots of pics of emersed growth from many species.
Phil Edwards is the man and suggest you google and read as much as you can from him if you want to get serious with emersed growth.

Good luck and very interested in pics and your progress :)

Any images, they would be great, I ahve turtles and have been told that they will eat plants but I still want to eventualy add some plants even if it involves replacing them every so often. When I had some in before they only eat the roots to the plants. Suposidly this can help them excrete food. :D

Thank you 8)

We'll see how it goes here over a few weeks, then. If I can find a way to compress the pixel format of my pictures, I will post them then. I do not know how to do this.

It will take time to balance a CO2 system with a suitable habitat for amphibians but it'll be fine.

...pretty anxious to see how it goes. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom