Serpae Tetra & Shrimps

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Trail_Mix

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 29 gallon planted tank with 6 hi-fin serpae tetras, 6 bloodfin tetras, 12 cardinal tetras, 3 corys, and 1 oto.

Yesterday I bought 3 red cherry shrimp and 3 crystal red shrimp, because I had read and been told that they were suitable tank mates for tetras. However, when I put them in the tank, I noticed the serpae tetras started to nip at them a little. But I have lots of wood and plants so my shrimp quickly found hiding spots. I've seen them here and there occasionally hiding under the wood, but it's impossible to get a view of all the little crevices. I'm afraid my serpae tetra are going to eat my shrimp. Is this likely? Or are the shrimp just hiding because they're adjusting to a new tank? And my serpae tetra tend to nip at new fish for a little at first until they get used to them. Despite the nipping I have not seen a shrimp actually eaten, so should I worry about the shrimp getting eaten, or should I just assume they're going to be okay, and grow a little bigger? (I know neither of these species gets that big, but the serpae tetra aren't exactly huge either)

Anyone have any experience with this? Thanks!

I think your shrimps day are numbered. Those fish will pick at and eventually kill and consume the shrimp.

I'm not sure how many of the shrimp are remaining since they are tiny and very good at hiding under my pieces of drift wood which I have set up with a lot of nooks and crannies.

I have a tiny 2g fish tank, would that be big enough to house the remaining shrimp? At most I have 6, but realistically I probably only have a few left.

I would say go ahead and make the 2g a shrimp tank. They are fun to watch, and you can put 6-8 in that size tank.

Back
Top Bottom