Serpae Tetras

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FSEMTB2

Aquarium Advice Activist
Has anybody experienced that these fish are nippers? I have owned them twice now and they are constant fin nippers to the other fish(black neons, male betta, and blue rams) I take this as odd since most tetras are very peaceful.

Thanks

I have some and they do alright with my angel. The "key" is to have enough so they bother one another and not other tankmates.

I think it might depend on the individual group you end up with. I was told and also read all over the place that if you had a large enough group, you shouldn't have any trouble with them bothering other fish. I had ten in my 55 gallon tank, and to me that should have been large enough to not have trouble. However, they harrassed my cories and so I eventually decided they had to go and found a great new home for them.

I have 6 in my 55 gal tank and they only bother each other. They used to both my Angels until they got too big. :)

I have seven in my 50 gal and if anything they seem to just stay to themselves. When the other fish (2 GBR and gouramis) are around they school a bit more, but nothing in the way of nipping to either each other or the other fish.

I had 9 in my 55 for a while and eventually had to give them up due to the havoc they imposed on their tankmates. Pretty fish though, I was disappointed to give them away.

Mine never bothered the other fish. Not even the Bolivians or German Blue Rams. But I can't keep serpae's. Not sure if it's the water, but after a couple months, their skin starts getting a dried white look, and they die off. Same with my Bleeding Hearts. The Blue Flames seem to be doing ok though so far. It's happening in both my 29G as well as my 75G, as I had serpae's in both, and both suffered the same fate. So no more serpae's for me. My neons, cardinals, and rummies are all doing just fine, and my rasboras are over 2 1/2 years old, and doing great. Just some reason those more round-shaped tetras don't do well here. My tiger barbs in my 55G are doing great as well. They are nearing 2 3/4 inches.

They're nippier than other tetras, but my experience is w/ daughter keeping 2-4 of them in a mini-bow (2.5g)

Back
Top Bottom