Setting up a 20g planted tank few ?'s

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brittanykluss

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 20g tall tank it's cycled and empty from having it running before (kept same filters in it to keep it cycled ) switched gravel to eco complete and bought the fluval led plant light. I have some sword , anubias, and dwarf grass in it currently. I plan on planting more in it. Is it absolutely necessary to have co2 system in this tank? What do you all recommend I do? I'm setting this tank up for a few dwarf puffers. I have 2 aqua clear filters in it one for a 20g and one for a 40/50 gallon. Any advice would be appreciated

Not sure the bacteria would survive a dry sponge for very long... Maybe a day tops. And without ammonia, or nitrites the bacteria colony would starve and die off.
As to Co2, your current plants would not require it. The DHG I've read grows a bit faster with it, but it's not required.

No when I changed everything out in the tank I made sure to keep the filters running in a bucket of water (same water it was in previously. Tank water) they never became dry. So no co2 necessary? How long should the lights stay on daily?

You'll probably be around the low part of moderate lighting. I think CO2 (and/or glut alternative) would highly be beneficial at this point -- especially for the DHG.

Pressurized CO2 is best, but there's the obvious upfront cost of equipment. But if budget is a limiting factor, you can rig up a DIY (yeast/sugar) CO2 system for cheap.

A liquid co2 won't cut it you think? Forgive me I am very new to co2. I know pressurized systems are expensive. What is glut mean? I am a bit afraid to set up a diy system since you can't truly control how much co2 is going in(???)

We have a thread going on an Excel alternative. Glut is short for glutaraldehyde, which is the active ingredient in Excel. You can buy Excel or opt for a generic version in buying Metricide 14. Doing the latter will save you money for sure. Read this thread and Google search :)

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/showthread.php?t=311575

I can understand why you're afraid to try DIY CO2. It's actually quite easy if you take the initiative and time to learn it. Plus, a 20g is a fairly large tank for DIY CO2. Probably the largest tank I'd even consider DIY. Tanks larger I usually only recommend pressurized. Being that the output of DIY CO2 is relatively minimal, it's quite safe in a 20g. Your plants will certainly benefit. Take your time though. Start with liquid carbon and when you have time, learn DIY.

Edit:
In case you decide to go the Glut route.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ator-dilute-glut-to-excel-stength-267615.html

Last edited:
Glut should definitely help.

As for the fluval CO2 system, I strongly advise against it. It uses proprietary cartridges in which you'll eat through the cartridges in no time, thus burning a hole in your wallet. It's not just the cartridges, it's the fact there's no solenoid valve for you to let the system turn on and off on a timer. Basically this will eventually cost more in the long run to operate.

Instead, if you want a pressurized system in a small form factor, get a paintball system. The Aquatek mini regulator for paintball is a reliable system at a value price point (<$90 last time I checked). All you would need after that is a paintball tank, CO2 diffuser, drop checker, tubing, and a heavy duty timer and you're good to go.

I also have a 20g and ran with DIY CO2 for a while. I found that my mixtures wouldn't last more than 10 days. Eventually the cost of the sugar, and the amount needed, made it too hard to maintain. I made the switch to pressurized CO2 and my tank has been very happy since. I was having algae issues because my lighting was powerful and I was running them too long.

Since I went pressurized, and have been dosing Excel daily, my algae issues are going away and my fish and plants look way better. I actually saw my Celestial Pearl Danios dancing. I'm pretty sure my Amano shrimp will eat any eggs though.

I went with the Milwaukee regulator on a 5lb. tank. CO2 comes on before the lights and turn off before the lights. I run in 2 photo periods of 3 hours each, morning and evening.

Ditto on the DIY CO2 and migration to pressurized. Ran DIY for about 8 months but felt like I did not have the consistency and control of CO2. Actually got tired of mixing it up. Purchased an Aquatek Premium regulator and 24 oz CO2 paintball tank plus adaptor (allow paintball tanks to connect to regular size regulators) and have been pleased with its performance.

How do I know what to dose when I use a pressurized system?

You would use a drop checker which is a small device filled with an indicator fluid. It detects changes in pH (CO2 affects pH) by displaying either a blue, green or yellow color.
The are regulators that are connected to pH meters and will open and close a valve (solenoid) as needed.

Back
Top Bottom