setting up a 29...pointers?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tyler

Aquarium Advice Freak
So, I'm pretty sure I'm going to get a 29 reef to be. what all am i going to need? college budget guys...i can get the tank for 20 and i already have something to put it on, so i've got that much taken care of, but what else will i need? heater of course, but what wattage? powerheads, how many, suggested brands, types, whatnot? skimmer? anything else? thanks guys.

I am 15 and I have a successful tank for almost a yr now.. just added a condy anemone(no do not get one)...

I will go into detail bout wat you need later today cause right now I have to go. Just wanted to fill you in on the budget thing :)

Jacob

psst but ont he other hand I already had the tank and everything you would need for a F/W tank so i simply haad to get the stuff for a salt.

Heater really depends on how you keep your room temperature. The higher you have to rase the tank above room temp will factor in how large a heater you need.

I would suspect a 29 you could do with a 150W unit. Ebo Jager is the brand I like

PH's - Well RIO's are cheap so that fits your college budget but they have a tendency to not restart if they run for a very long time. A cleaning usually gets them going again. I prefer Maxi-Jet

U don't need a skimmer but should you want one you can get a Red Sea Prizim skimmer for around $70 mailorder.

Lights, Lights, Lights, Lights~

This is your big ticket item. LIGHTS!

On a 29 gal tank since its taller will need some good power lights to get results. I suggest 2 55W pc lights. Unless you wanted to go with same HIGH light loving corals then a single MH lamp and an actinic suplment will do.

And then the items I have discussed before with the LS and the LR.

You can do this even on a college budget. Just take your time and buy stuff as you can afford. Get a little bit of LR and LS and use a single strop light to start out. Then buy more rock and the PC lights. etc. just add on slowly and your tank will look marvelous

Well, to start with the basics:

Live Sand - Depending on where you get it will depend on how much it will cost. Go with live though so you don't have to wait for dead or southdown to seed. You should shoot for about

Live Rock - Very important. Go for about 1-2 lbs per gallon. That would mean between 29 and 58lbs for a smaller tank like the one you're planning. Avergage price of LR is $5/lb so you're looking at about $145- $290 for LR. Don't skimp on the LR though, its the best natural filtration and you won't be sorry. If you're on a budget, you can put down base rock which is considerably cheaper and seed the tank with a few good pieces of LR. That will get the bacteria growing on the rock and should cause the coraline to grow (will take time though).

You'll only need a heater if where you are is colder. I live in Florida and a heater isn't an issue. I have a chiller to keep my temp between 78 and 80. You'll have to make that call based on where you are and what the temp range is.

You'll need lights. What do you plan on keeping in your tank. If you're planning a reef, shoot for between 4 - 5 watts per gallon at minimum. Some have more (FWIW, I run 5.12 watts most of the time and then up to 8+ when the MH is on). This will be one of the largest expenditures you'll make. Look for used stuff or go eBay to save money. You can even build stuff yourself, which is a great way to go.

Filtration - Ultimately, if you have enough live rock and a healthy sand bed, you shouldn't need mechanical filtration. You should consider adding a sump or refugium which will make for a healthier tank by increasing the water volume of your tank, increasing filtration (via nutrient export) and by providing a source of food for some inverts and fish). A good skimmer (over sized for your tank) is always a good idea. Just starting out, you should have one.

I could go on and on... but I think you get the general idea here about the basics.

It sounds like you're just starting out. The best advice I can give you is READ, READ, READ and be patient. This hobby can't be rushed. The more you know, the healthier and happier your tank's inhabitants will be and the better your tank will look.

Good luck!

thanks for the advice guys.

don't worry about me rushing. i quite literally can't afford to rush. and
i've been reading everything i can get my hands on for the past couple months.

ultimately, my goal is to have corals, maybe a fish, and some inverts of some sort.

and, of course, i'll keep you all posted.

Back
Top Bottom