Setting Up and Stocking a 10 gallon Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That sounds like a great stock! Maybe a bit overstocked (but I wouldn't know) like you said we need someone else to chime in.

I have a similar stock in my 26 gallon. I think you could be fine with that stock , just make sure you properly cycle the tank, get a water change schedule, and keep parameters in check :)

I have a similar stock in my 26 gallon. I think you could be fine with that stock , just make sure you properly cycle the tank, get a water change schedule, and keep parameters in check :)

It looks good to me. Maybe a little over stocked. I think pleco's are poop machines. I'd drop either him or the Cory's. I'm not an expert on stocking though.

It looks good to me. Maybe a little over stocked. I think pleco's are poop machines. I'd drop either him or the Cory's. I'm not an expert on stocking though.

Maybe drop the pleco and add a few mystery snails? Im pretty sure they eat certain types of algae.

Maybe drop the pleco and add a few mystery snails? Im pretty sure they eat certain types of algae.

Mystery snails would be good. I prefer nerite snails because they eat alot of algae and they won't have babies all over your tank. The eggs need saltwater to hatch. I have 3 zebra nerites. They were in my 55 but I moved them to my 35. As long as you dont overstock, keep your water clean with weekly water changes to keep the nitrates low, the algae will have a hard time growing.

Yea, I've never really liked pelco's. They always root up plants. But other than that it is an amazing stock.

If your stock list is for a 20g now, you might think about Otos instead of a Pleco. They are gentle on plants. Just add them last once you have plenty of biofilm as they often won't eat processed food at first.

In Planted tanks that are properly balanced you won't get much algae.

How many do you think I could fit in there if I used this for a stock? Aren't they pretty small?

Well, preferably both tank sizes if you know if you know. And yes, I was talking about Otos

The first stocking suggestion sounded nice. Might be tiny bit overstocked but i think you could get away with it in a 20.

Maybe

2 German blue rams
6 rummy nose tetra
4 Pygmy Cory cats
1 bristle nose pleco

For stock? Or would this be overstocked? Someone else correct me if I'm wrong

This would be in a 20g. NOT a 10g. Way too much for a 10g. 20 Long is better as Rams need floor space.

I would up Cories to 6-8 in a 20g
Drop the Pleco and use 4 Otos instead.

I have had 2-4 Ottos in my 10g. But that is a mature stable tank with lots of plants.

They are small, but need biofilm and soft Algae to eat as many WONT eat algae wafers or flakes at first. They are all wild caught so try to pick fish with rounded bellies.

Quarantine is a good idea for WC fish also.

Also, as far as mystery snails(I have some and love mine) but I've found alot of fish look at their feelers as food and the poor things have had to completely regrow their antennas and air tube because of my trail and error with what worked in which tank. I would worry about the GBR doing it to mystery snails, not that you were seriously considering them, just putting that info out there.

Speaking of snails, in my ten gal. I just got all the furnishings and decorations in and it's not look'n too shabby!

But more on the topic of snails, there are two very tiny snails in my tank that I didn't buy. (Maybe they came on one of the plants.) but I really have no idea what type they are or where they came from?

If anyone knows about snails I would like some clue as to what's up with them?

image-1580698425.jpg

image-397166836.jpg

image-596175749.jpg

Attachments

• image-2811362733.jpg
    image-2811362733.jpg
    174.6 KB · Views: 74
Your tank looks really nice! The pictures of the snail aren't that clear so I can't tell what it is. Just a heads up on the lucky bamboo- I may be wrong but I believe it is not a fully aquatic plant and will probably die at some point. I'd keep an eye on it and make sure it's doing ok. Like I said- I could be wrong. You may want to get a second or 3rd opinion.

Yea sorry about the bad snail pics.

And I had some doubts about the bamboo being aquatic because I've seen it out of water. But than again I've seen them fully submerged at a different place. I think it can be either or because I've had it for at least 3 1/2 weeks and its just getting greener.

But only time will tell.

Yea sorry about the bad snail pics.

And I had some doubts about the bamboo being aquatic because I've seen it out of water. But than again I've seen them fully submerged at a different place. I think it can be either or because I've had it for at least 3 1/2 weeks and its just getting greener.

But only time will tell.

Probably Pond/Bladder Snails. I don't worry about them.

If you let the Bamboo grow out the top of the tank it will live. Fully submerged long term it will rot.

Ok, the stock you gave me for the twenty gallon sounded amazing!

But... All the local pet stores in my area don't have those fish. So are there any other cool stocks I could get???

(Ps. I am still looking for a store that has those fish in it, all hope is not lost.)

As of now all The animals i have in my ten gallon are snails. And they are laying eggs like crazy!

I found three big clumps within a week and I only have two snails!

Plus, I have about 20 confirmed snails going around that look probably less that two days old!

Will I have to worry about maintaining the babies when they hatch, And how many will usually hatch per glob of eggs?

Added onto that will I have to put any fish in here to balance the system or anything???

And if so what, fish???

Back
Top Bottom