Setting up my second tank... Cycling questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AtHomeWithTwins

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi all... Sorry if this has been discussed a million times already. I tried searching for this topic but the search feature on this app leaves a lot to be desired. Anyway, i'll just ask.

Im getting ready to set up my second aquarium, a 55 gallon. I have a 13 gallon already set up and some of its residents will make the move over to the 55( six rasboras and two panda cories).

My question is this... Do i need to do a fishless cycle on the 55 before moving these fish over? Cant i just stuff some old filter media in the new filters to support such a low bio-load?

It seems pointless to do a full fishless cycle with 4ppm of ammonia to achieve enough bacteria to support a full stocking level if im only going to have a few fish at first. By the time i add more fish the excess bb will have died off.

I have no problem doing the fishless cycle, i just dont want to be doing extra work. (I may actually do it anyway just because ive never tried it before and id like to try it)

Any thoughts/experiences would be helpful. Thanks!!

U could add old media and run for a few days or if your interested in trying the fishless cycle go for it

A fishless cycle is the best. 4 weeks and you can add fish. But if you put your old media in the new tank or filter than you can add 1 or 2 fish straight away. Then gradually introduce every other fish you want in the tank. 6 weeks later you can take the old media out and leave the tank with the once new filter and media. So your choice. Fishless for 4 weeks and no old media such as sponges or old media from set up tank and start adding fish straight away. Hardly any difference for the fish. Hope this helps.

What if i run an underpowered but cycled filter along with the new ones for a while? To be more specific, i have a cycled aqueon quiet flow 10 (100 gph) that i could run alonside the two new AC 70's

Ok.... Lets say i do the fishless cycle and transfer over these 8 fish. How soon do i need to add more fish to maintain alot of the bb?

Im unsure exactly what my ultimate stocking will be and i would like to be able to take my time to decide. But then i dont want to start a mini- cycle everytime i decide i want to introduce new fish.

I dont see why you couldnt take your time and get a few new fish at a time without harming your tank

Well once the Fishless cycle (4weeks) has taken place you must make sure you add fish slowly. So 1 or 2 fish each week. The exception to this is if they are shoaling fish then add the whole shoal unless you have got like 40 in a shoal. Otherwise like you said another mini cycle will take place that could harm the fish that are in their. So don't add your 8 fish all at once just the ones in pairs and shoals in each week. Even though it is a small bioload it could be enough to start a mini cycle. Hope this helps.

I know ur only supposed to add a couple at a time.... But if, for instance, you want a school of 10 rummynose tetras, i wouldnt want to add them two at a time. It would take two or three months to achieve that.

Tomtom... U reply every time im typing and i miss ur post!!!! Guess i need to type faster

Suppose i did a fishless cycle and only dosed ammonia to like 2ppm. Still using seeded filter media, in theory the cycle should complete significantly faster. You wouldnt have as many bb in the end, but i guess my whole point is i dont need that many. What do we think of this?

My two cents, for what it's worth...
Either put your old filter media next to the new filter media or run your old filter along either the new one. I think you'll accomplish roughly the same thing.. which is seeding the new filter with BB.

The fish you plan on transferring into the 55g are small in both size and number and aren't going to overwhelm an established BB colony.

I'd give the new filter media a couple weeks to start its own BB colony and then start adding 5-7 new fish at a time an wait a couple weeks between additions to give your BB time to adjust to the increased bio load.

Keep an eye on your parameters and do PWCs as needed. Good luck. :)

Thanks much... All advice welcome! U read so many things and it seems none pertain quite to the situation your having, so direct advice/opinion is even more helpful.

I have a 5 gallon tank with 1 platy and 1 dwarf African frog. Use to have a mollie but she got ick and died
I was wondering if the frog is the problem. I'm planning to upgrade to 16 gallon and planing on using my aquaclear 20 and I was wondering if the filter media can carry disease.

I have a 5 gallon tank with 1 platy and 1 dwarf African frog. Use to have a mollie but she got ick and died
I was wondering if the frog is the problem. I'm planning to upgrade to 16 gallon and planing on using my aquaclear 20 and I was wondering if the filter media can carry disease.

It would be best to start a new thread with your question, but the quick answer is that Mollies need 20-30g tanks as they get large and poop a lot and Platies need at least a 10-20g.

5g tanks are ok for a single Betta OR some Cherry Shrimp. It's too small for most fish. A couple of tiny Nano fish like Scarlet Badis can work with heavy planting.

Return or rehome the Platy and Id be doing water changes daily till that happens.

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm new to all this. People at the pet store told me that it would be fine having a mollie and a frog because they eat the food at the bottom. My other question is if the frog can carry the disease (ick) and if my filter media can carry the disease since I'm planning to upgrade to 16 gallon.

I'm new to all this. People at the pet store told me that it would be fine having a mollie and a frog because they eat the food at the bottom. My other question is if the frog can carry the disease (ick) and if my filter media can carry the disease since I'm planning to upgrade to 16 gallon.

Start a new thread with your question. This thread is about the OP.

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom