Setting Up New Cichlid Tank- First Time- Advice Needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Stock numbers are subjective, and matter of opinion along with individual fish temperament. If you have mixed species, and they breed, you could very well end up with hybrids which aren't very popular amongst people. If the breeding thing is something your more interested in than just keeping a variety of Africans, look into the Pseudo Saulosi I mentioned. That way you get it all, African cichlids, and mixed bright coloration without the risk of hybridization.

Sent from my QMV7A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I understand your point that peacocks typically inhabit deeper waters than mbuna but they still stick to the rock line and absolutely do require rockwork and caves. They especially appreciate caves in the home aquarium.

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/peacocks.php

Edit to add: no need to argue about it though. I was mistaken on the mbunas needs, I was thinking they didn't really care about the rocks. I'm also speaking from experience in the home aquarium, my peacocks love caves, my mbuna rarely even enter them. Just wanted to clarify my position.

Attachments

• 1428681684402.jpg
    1428681684402.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 82
Stock numbers are subjective, and matter of opinion along with individual fish temperament. If you have mixed species, and they breed, you could very well end up with hybrids which aren't very popular amongst people. If the breeding thing is something your more interested in than just keeping a variety of Africans, look into the Pseudo Saulosi I mentioned. That way you get it all, African cichlids, and mixed bright coloration without the risk of hybridization.

If she breeds though wouldn't they have to rehome the fry so they don't get eaten?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

If she breeds though wouldn't they have to rehome the fry so they don't get eaten?

Depends on the tank I guess. Some fish are great parents and will defend the fry fiercely. You would typically pull them out if you wanted to try to raise them, but leaving them in doesn't guarantee they'll all be eaten or sucked into the filter

You're still a while away from worrying about how to breed them and raise fry. When the time comes, there is a ton of information available on the subject across the web.

True. I just want to make sure I know what getting into. But it's ok to just leave them in there, ethically I mean?

My ethics and your ethics are both different from the next persons. I personally wouldn't bat an eye if my fish spawned and the tank mates ate the fry.

Ok thanks for all the good advice. Between this and my LFS, I think I've got a game plan.

Now a question about hardscape:

I have about 35-40 lbs or rock to put in my 55 with tempered glass bottom. Do I need to use egg crate, or am I ok to skip it? Can't seem to find it locally. Or is there an alternative? Also, should I put rocks in, then sand?

Thanks in advance...

OK found some! that was the last thing I needed so I can start building out the tank tonight! Yay!

I'm going to try and stick with mbunas. But it will be somewhat based on availability at my LFS as I really don't want to order online.

I am going to do a fish-in cycle with lots of daily monitoring/water changes with a small group (4-5). I have seeded media from a well established tank, and have done fish-in cycling successfully before.

I will start a thread for my new tank soon. Thanks again for all of the advice.

When I did my fish-in cycle I used "stress zyme" and it worked great.

Back
Top Bottom