Setting Up New Cichlid Tank- First Time- Advice Needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I used it with prime. It just gives the fish a protective coat from ammonia and puts beneficial bacteria into the tank to speed up the nitrogen cycle.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I used it with prime. It just gives the fish a protective coat from ammonia and puts beneficial bacteria into the tank to speed up the nitrogen cycle.

Gotcha. I'll pick some of that up.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1429021733.919420.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1429021758.418119.jpg

Filling the tank....
Then all set up this morning with light, filter, etc. Adding conditioners, etc. No fish yet.

Looks awesome Jengo. I'd add some tetra safestart to the tank if you're cycling fish-in. Available at walmart for half the price it is at LFS and petsmart. Its relabeled Biospira, really good BB in a bottle.

I used two of the 3.88oz bottles, one straight into the filter and one in the water column. Be sure to monitor as you would normally, as well at WC when needed, but it will keep all levels nearly non existent.

I'm not familiar with that product.

Here's what I've added so far:

Stability
Prime
Ph buffer 8.2
Malawi cichlid salts

No reason to go crazy with start up chemicals. Most of them are more gimmick than anything. I'd say your good.

Ok yea there's so many lol! I also have filter media from an established tank (2 bio wheels running with my magnum canister) so that should speed things up I think.

So, would it be better to get a pleco with the first group of cichlids I put in there? Or to wait after the fish in cycle is over? Keep in mind I've got lots of media from an established tank in there. More wondering about aggression....

Are you cycling with cichlids? That seems expensive! Also, in my African tank, and my american tank no fish bother my plecos

Unless you just want a pleco I wouldn't add one. They don't bring much of anything beneficial to the tank and produce a pretty good amount of waste.
I have cycled with cichlids, I only lost one and I believe it was due to bullying, not water quality. Start slow, maybe 3-4. Usually aggression takes a few days to set in with new fish in a new tank.

OK thanks! I don't necessarily "want" a pleco, for some reason I was under the impression that they were good for a cichlid tank.

Pleco's produce much more waste than anything. The only reason to keep one would be because you like the species.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Wow, I learn something new every day. Is there some other complimentary species that would enhance an african cichlid tank, or is it better to just totally avoid anything else. I want to do what's best for the fish, I don't care about having another species beyond that.

Maybe a featherfin catfish. Just give him some hiding spots. They are quite territorial so I'm sure he could fend in a cichlid tank.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

OK thanks! I don't necessarily "want" a pleco, for some reason I was under the impression that they were good for a cichlid tank.

Yeah and that's the reason I mentioned that. A lot of people don't actually want a pleco but there is this perception that tanks need them. Its totally false.

If your interested in a bottom feeder go with Caleb's suggestion or check out syndontis catfish. There are a few species but the general opinion is synos will do well with cichlids. They're pretty too

If you're looking for a bottom feeder/clean up crew, as TMRC said any type of Syno. will work. Raphael cats are another good choice. They can defiantly defend themselves and most all fish leave them alone after a taste of their spikes lol

If you're looking for a bottom feeder/clean up crew, as TMRC said any type of Syno. will work. Raphael cats are another good choice. They can defiantly defend themselves and most all fish leave them alone after a taste of their spikes lol

Not all will do well with mbuna. There are many syno species from the rivers that wouldn't do that well with mbuna, like s. Brichardi.

I would recommend looking into multipunctuatus, petricola, or luccipinis. All do well with boisterous species, and live in groups, which I find more interesting that a single specimen. Multipunctuatus actually breed by tricking mouth brooders into caring for their young. I believe all three of those species are from Tanganyika, rather than Malawi, but do well with malawi fish

Ok, got my first 6 today. Here's a couple shots. I did my best based on the advice/experience of my LFS employees, who keep cichlids themselves. I realized after I got home that maybe the auratus wasn't the best choice, but hopefully it will all work out. The OB Zebras are bigger than the auratus so hopefully that will help.

In the tank: 3x OB zebras, 1xmale auratus, 2x female auratus.

I will be adding more slowly as the tank cycles.

.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1429132277.538510.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1429132298.870572.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1429132333.771184.jpg

Should be fine. Especially considering the auratus is female. Keep an eye on her, time will tell.

Back
Top Bottom