Setting Up New Cichlid Tank- First Time- Advice Needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok, this morning, like magic, water parameters were testing perfect!
Ph 8
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 10

No fish casualties! Fish- in cycle complete!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I have added 2 Kenyi and 2 bumblebee to my 3 Auratus and 3 OB zebras.

I am considering Yellow Labs and Demasoni to add soon. Thoughts?

Well, so are auratus. ?

I'm purposely stocking fish who can hold their own.

It'll either be a great success or a huge disaster.

It all started with me picking the auratus, so I'm doing my best to stock accordingly.

Well I'm far from a cichlid expert. My African knowledge is next to nothing. I just know I have heard and read that mature bumblebees are little devils.

Caleb

All the ones you have are little devils, as are demasoni. I think it'll be fine, but kenyi and demasoni may fight. People say only one type of blue/black barred fish per tank, but I have no experience with this.
The labs are quite docile in general, and even more so in comparison to your current stock, but I would think they'd be fine as well

Oh! Also, resources say that demasoni should be in a large group, something like 6+. If you just have 2 or 3 more often than not the dominant one will kill the others. This, combined with the $20/each price tag they carry in my area is why I only have one Demasoni in my tank

Oh! Also, resources say that demasoni should be in a large group, something like 6+. If you just have 2 or 3 more often than not the dominant one will kill the others. This, combined with the $20/each price tag they carry in my area is why I only have one Demasoni in my tank

Wow! They are 12.99 each or 2/24 at my LFS. They are stunning though! Good tip about 6 or more...let's see....
3x24=.......72. Not cheap. But I love their bright colors, so I'll see if I can swing it.

Well I'm far from a cichlid expert. My African knowledge is next to nothing. I just know I have heard and read that mature bumblebees are little devils.

Caleb

I think you're right on, I have heard that as well.

Wow! They are 12.99 each or 2/24 at my LFS. They are stunning though! Good tip about 6 or more...let's see....
3x24=.......72. Not cheap. But I love their bright colors, so I'll see if I can swing it.

I think they're actually $16.99 a piece at my LFS. Petsmart has them for like $9.19 however haha. Someone recently traded in 6-8 demasoni adults at the LFS. $29.99 each. All came together and all left together, couldn't imagine dropping $200 on fish at once. Most I've comfortably spent at once was $50 on a mixed group of 6. I nearly died paying $25+tax for my TSN, but couldn't resist him any longer

I think they're actually $16.99 a piece at my LFS. Petsmart has them for like $9.19 however haha. Someone recently traded in 6-8 demasoni adults at the LFS. $29.99 each. All came together and all left together, couldn't imagine dropping $200 on fish at once. Most I've comfortably spent at once was $50 on a mixed group of 6. I nearly died paying $25+tax for my TSN, but couldn't resist him any longer

Lol highest I've payed for a fish is $60.

Caleb

Lol highest I've payed for a fish is $60.

Caleb

I'm cheap Caleb, I thought you would have figured that out by now. The highest I've paid for ANYTHING was $100 for a complete 55g setup haha. I'd be willing to bet I only have between $300-400 grand total in 4 tanks. That's including the tanks and filters and fish!

I'm cheap Caleb, I thought you would have figured that out by now. The highest I've paid for ANYTHING was $100 for a complete 55g setup haha. I'd be willing to bet I only have between $300-400 grand total in 4 tanks. That's including the tanks and filters and fish!

Lol I can't say the same. I have trust issues with just a used tank. Nightmares of it busting all over the floor. Everything I have was bought new for this reason lol.

Caleb

Haha. My 65g hexagon was given to me by a guy that purchased it in 1981 or 1982. He said it started leaking some time last summer so he took it down. Needless to say, I'm a daredevil and carefree, so I filled it up without resealing. Its been running for two months now almost and doesn't leak a drop.

Haha. My 65g hexagon was given to me by a guy that purchased it in 1981 or 1982. He said it started leaking some time last summer so he took it down. Needless to say, I'm a daredevil and carefree, so I filled it up without resealing. Its been running for two months now almost and doesn't leak a drop.

Lol *begin nightmares* I would have at least resealed it.

Caleb

Back
Top Bottom