Setting Up New Cichlid Tank- First Time- Advice Needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mine won't admit it, but out of 3 established tanks, I have only chosen 4-6 fish out of 30 or so lol. Her latest pick was a JD :O

So, I am planning on eventually "overstocking" this tank. If I had 15-20 mbuna in the 55, what level of filtration should I be at?

Right now I have a Magnum 350 pro with 2 bio wheels, which is overkill for my current 6 fish, but I'm thinking future here....

I'm planning on trying to get a quieter canister, and then was thinking if I get to that max stocking level, should I get an aqua clear HOB too?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

You want to be at least at 10x gph Then monitor nitrates to see how often you will need water changes. Usually a 50% weekly water change will keep things in check.

You want to be at least at 10x gph Then monitor nitrates to see how often you will need water changes. Usually a 50% weekly water change will keep things in check.

So 550 gph total between the 2 filters?

So 550 gph total between the 2 filters?

Yep! Keep in mind that most company's advertise their gpg with no media. So my recommendation would be something like a fluval 406 and an aqua clear 70 hob. That would give a 683 gph claim with an actual about 500gph.

Just a quick update:

Fish in cycle with established media going well. I've been doing regular water changes.

This morning no2 is at 2ppm, nitrate is at 30. I think this is very good, by bio filter is setting up nicely. Frequent large water changes (50%) and prime / stability dosing are keeping fishies happy and healthy.

Thoughts?

Glad to hear all is going well. What fish are you cycling with?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I've got 3 OB zebras and 3 auratus (1 male 2 females)

They seem to be doing well. I'm working on a list of other Mbunas that I can put in there after cycling to hold their own with the auratus. The good news is that the make auratus is the smallest fish in there right now so aggression is pretty balanced. I do plan on adding a couple more auratus females.

Today, ammonia 0, nitrites were 3-5, nitrates 30. Did a 75% water change immediately, dosed with prime. All fish seem fine.

Think I'm getting near to the end of the cycle?

Today, ammonia 0, nitrites were 3-5, nitrates 30. Did a 75% water change immediately, dosed with prime. All fish seem fine.

Think I'm getting near to the end of the cycle?

Sounds like the end to me!

Ugh, the nitrites just WILL NOT DIE!!!! I just keep doing water changes and dosing with prime. :-(

Did you get the pet world sale?

Yessir! I was totally bummed that I couldn't get more fish at that BOGO sale but my tank wasn't done cycling!

Ive got some nice peacocks available. Ive gots lots a babies if your interested. Africans, SA, rams, guppies, plecos. Always happy to help a local.

Ive got some nice peacocks available. Ive gots lots a babies if your interested. Africans, SA, rams, guppies, plecos. Always happy to help a local.

Thanks! I'm sticking to Mbunas only in this tank like a good little girl. :)

I was wanting a couple female guppies for another tank at some point.

Back
Top Bottom