Setup question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andari

Aquarium Advice Regular
I setup my 75 gal with substrate and got my specific gravety lined up. I tossed in a couple shrimp to get the cycle started. Now I'm reading that when I cure my live rock it will pretty much make it cycle all over again. We already had good bacteria from our bio stars when we moved our old tank and I put live rock from my other tank. My ammonia is already spiking. Is it ok to add the new live rock I ordered to the tank when it gets here or will the ammonia level in the tank affect curing it. And should I take my other rock out before I do the curing process with the new stuff? I think I did this in the wrong order.

Ok well if you get "uncured" LR that will cycle a tank in itself. You can take the shrimp out and cycle with the LR. Go ahead and get all your LR in the tank providing you have no live animals and let your tank cycle.

Often a cycling process can be very interesting and a lot of fun with LR. Most people do not wait long enough to actually see some of the life.

Take your time and test your levels. Depending on how cured the rock is, and how much die off your cycle could be as short as 7 days or as long as a month.

Cycling is not going to hurt the rock. You do not want to cycle and then add rock to the mix you are better doing it all at once.

Good Luck!

I agree. I cycled my tank with uncured liverock, took about 2.5-3 weeks. I would take the shrimp out and cycle with the liverock. If it's cured rock though, like Tom said, might not cycle as well so you will want to maybe keep a shrimp in there to get things moving.

Probably the best way imo to get your tank to establish itself.

I really hated reading on RC, "throw a couple clowns or damsels to cycle the tank."

Some guy at a LFS told me to buy a damsel to cycle my tank. I told him I didn't want a damsel. He said well when your tank is cycled, flush him down the toilet. One more reason why I don't really listen to anyone that works in a LFS.

Some guy at a LFS told me to buy a damsel to cycle my tank

One of the most common irresponsible advice often given in the industry. Your latter sentence is great!

STARFYRE said:
One more reason why I don't really listen to anyone that works in a LFS.

Not all are bad just most of them. They have a job to do. Take money out of your wallet. Mine fortunately give alot of good advice.

You are right I should not have sounded so bias. I just meant to always investigate what people tell you.

I would expect people to double check advice myself or anybody else gives. One of the things that makes this hobby so interesting is that there are many different ways to do things and there is so much information out there. That is why I cant stand when people get mad because somebody disagrees. That is part of the fun and learning process.

I do have one LFS that is great and I usually trust advice given to me by a few that work there.

That was really my fault and someone already called me out on that. I tend to use always and never statements to enhance the emphasis of how I feel. And you're right melosu, not all LFS employees are clueless. I actually have 2 guys at one of my LFS that are pretty good. About 80% of what they tell me is sound advice. BTW Melosu, how's your 29 g seahorse tank comin along? I saw u haven't posted in awhile. Stick an update in the diary for me. U know we're in this together and I need all the help I can get!

HIJACKED THREAD ALERT.. lol

I'll wait until I get my shipment in and then put it all in at the same time.. :)

Back
Top Bottom