Severum lethargic after ph change.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spiritskr

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello all,

My PH was in the 6.0-6.2 range, so I raised it to 7.0, now my cichlids (severum) appear very lethargic. They hang out at the bottom of the tank. Is this normal. It took me the better part of a day to change the ph level. They eat well, as soon as I walk near the tank, they come to the top,

Gary

It sounds like your severum has experienced pH shock. Drastic changes in pH levels can have harmful, and sometimes even fatal results. Any changes made in pH need to be carried out in small, gradual steps.

Is there any particular reason you decided to change the pH?

PH change and Lethargic severum

I was told to try to keep the PH at around 7.0. I was told that the low 6's is too acidic. Is there anything I can do? They eat fine, then they go back to the bottom of the tank, and just hang out there without moving around.
It took me about 3-4 hours to change the PH level from around 6.0 to 7.0. Was this too fast? I get the feeling I shouldnt have done this. My other fish
3 parrots, a tinfoil, 2 cat-fish (1" each) and my 2 pleckos are doing fine.
Is there anyway of knowing when they are either going to die or get over it.

Thanks,

Gary

PH change and lethargic severum

My tank size is 30 Gallons. I am confused what has that got to do with the PH levels?

I think I may have found my problem. Evidently, Severum like the ph to be in the 6.0 to 6.5 range. Hopefully, the 7.0 will not kill them. I dont want to lower the ph as this will, in all likelihood finish them off.

Actually, the severums would have been fine at a pH of 7.0 IF the changes were done slowly. Most of the fish we get are not wild caught, and have been bred to handle a winder range of pH levels. But, as Voodoo mentioned, changing pH quickly (more then .2 per day) can have extremely detrimental effects. Hopefully your severums are hardy lil buggers and can handle the change. Also, changing pH without knowing your hardness and buffering levels can be an issue too. Do you know them?

As for why William asked what size tank, you'r right, it has nothing to do with the pH. It does have a lot to do with the amount of bio-load in the tank. Are they bristlenose plecs? Or common plecs? Do know bristlenose will get to be around 6 inches, and thats ok for your tank, but common plecs get to be about 2 feet long and they grow FAST. And the tank size makes no difference. Tinfoils get to be around 14 inches and really need buddies as they are schooling fish, Your severum will reach around 6-7 inches. Do know your tank is way too small for all these guys, and you will likely have water probs in the very near future. Be aware you may have to return some of these guys, or purchase a much larger tank. In the meantime, be prepared for lots of water changes and testing!

Thank you all for your help. I guess that 55 gallon tank that I have stored away will have to be put into use. I am glad you told me about the tin-foil. I had two but one died. I asked the LFS if they would take it off of my hands, and they said that would not be a problem I will check my water hardness today.

Back
Top Bottom