shaky mollys - why?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HopeGR

Aquarium Advice Activist
As of a few hours ago I noticed one of my balloon mollys is shaking left to right when still. I did a quick search and said it could be because she is carrying fry - she is - or the water is not good. Water checks in as Ammonia - zero, ph - 7.8, nitrate - 20 (because of fry feeding,) nitrite - zero, alkalinity - around 80. I did a 25 percent water change anyway right after noticing this. I also added 3 ml of alkalinity to raise it.

Just now, I notice the Dalmatian molly doing the same. She is with fry too.

The only thing I did was, I purchased another balloon molly Monday, and as soon as she got in, she stayed on the top corner. Found her dead in the morning, I was so upset. But the other mollys are fine. It's a 20 gallon, 9 adult fish with a handful of fry. Why are they shaking?

Lol :)

Couple of ideas -

Increasing kh / ph a good idea to try. Can help.

Water chemistry but say pesticides, contaminated driftwood, tap water issues (rare), etc. I tried rosemary wood once - betta was fine, mollies had shakes until it was removed. Melafix / pimafix another.

I would think rare but internal parasite infections can damage nerves.

Back
Top Bottom