shallow tank fish suggestions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gaker

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm currently cycling a ~45 gallon display that is 48" x 18" x 12" and plan to decommission my JBJ 28 nano cube and transfer everything over.

As far as fish go, I currently have the following:

* a clown pair which a BTA hosts (they rarely leave it, and when they do, it is to bite me if I need to put my hand in the tank).
* a royal gramma (its sleeping habits cracks me up)
* banggai cardinal (just bounces in the water)
* yellow watchman goby paired with a pistol shrimp (my favorite, but only see the goby at feeding time)

I'm running a 40 gallon sump, so about 70-75 total gallons of water, and when it is appropriate, plan on getting a mandarin (if/when I feel the pod population can handle it). However, I'd really like to find a pair of fish that will be more active in the water.

The tank I'm transferring is primarily SPS stocked with a few LPSs. I think some of the smaller wrasses might work. Maybe a flasher wrasse pair?

Given the length of the tank, maybe more than that? I don't know that I can necessarily trust the "gallons" recommendations on sites like Live Aquaria, as I assume they are recommending for general tank sizes. Am I wrong?

have had great luck in the nano cube with no aggression and low nutrients (in fact, I've gone out of my way to raise them). I really prefer seeing crazy polyp extension and growth on "sticks", but I figure it would be nice to have more active fish in the water.

What do you think? I'm not going to do something stupid and get a purple tang. The tank is long, but shallow. Yes, I'll have it covered, so I'm not worried about jumpers.

So what might you suggest?

Thanks!

A pair of flashers would be a nice addition if you could get them in the tank before the more aggressive fish, they're very timid for wrasses and do best when the first fish in the tank IME. I know they've got a bad reputation, but a 6 line would be an awesome addition IMO, between being extremely active, and pest control, I've always found them to be great in tanks with foot prints like this. Dwarf angels would also fit, if your feeling lucky ;). One of the blennies would also be a good option, and they're some of the funniest fish available in the hobby. I'm sure I'll get flamed for this but one of the bristle tooth tangs could work too.

None of my fish really show any aggression (other than the female clown disliking when I am placing a new coral).

I'd like flasher wrasses like: Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Yellowfin Flasher Wrasse and Live Aquaria recommends a 55 gallon. At 48" x 18", I think it would give them plenty of swimming room horizontally and although I'm still tweaking the rockscape as I cycle, I'll have plenty of hiding places.

Thanks

ETA: I don't want to put the fish in a situation where they aren't going to thrive, so this is why I ask :)

I wonder if a kole tang would do well? I love the shallow long tanks. Any pics?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

If your cycling the new rocks, then I would just get the flashers after the cycle give them a week or 2 and start transferring your other livestock.

Back
Top Bottom