Shoaling Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tiguardo

Aquarium Advice Freak
Suggestions welcome....

I've a 63 gallon community tank with the following occupants.

4 Clown Loaches
1 Rainbow Shark
3 Bristlenose Pleco
1 Golden Gourami
4 Angelsfish (2 large, 2 small)

I am looking for a shoaling fish that is a mid/upper level swimmer, that (hopefully) is unlikely to become dinner for the two large Angels! They are both very mellow, but am aware that they can devour small fish. I am leaning towards Rummynose Tetra, as I have 8 in my other tank & they're pretty quick & I think would be too fast for the Angels.

Any suggestions please? All welcome ;)

Do you mean schooling or shoaling? Schooling fish use schooling as a defensive measure against big fish, while shoaling fish just hang out simply because they're the same species so you won't see them together all the time. Rummynose tetras can work, so can cardinal tetras as well and glowlights or black neons. If you're looking for a top dweller, hatchetfish do very nice. Just make sure they have a cover, as they can jump.

bruinsbro1997 said:
Do you mean schooling or shoaling? Schooling fish use schooling as a defensive measure against big fish, while shoaling fish just hang out simply because they're the same species so you won't see them together all the time. Rummynose tetras can work, so can cardinal tetras as well and glowlights or black neons. If you're looking for a top dweller, hatchetfish do very nice. Just make sure they have a cover, as they can jump.

I meant shoaling fish :)

Thanks for the recommendations.

bruinsbro1997 said:
Do you mean schooling or shoaling? Schooling fish use schooling as a defensive measure against big fish, while shoaling fish just hang out simply because they're the same species so you won't see them together all the time. [\QUOTE]

Thanks for explaining the difference. I thought they meant the same thing!

Hi tiguardo. I think with your current stock you are already at capacity in the long term.

It would be nice to put some schoolers in to fill the tank out looks-wise, but it'd be good to consider the needs of the current occupants as well.

jetajockey said:
Hi tiguardo. I think with your current stock you are already at capacity in the long term.

It would be nice to put some schoolers in to fill the tank out looks-wise, but it'd be good to consider the needs of the current occupants as well.

Thanks for your advice. I agree that I need to take long term capacity in mind, but am planning another tank in the near future. my Clown Loaches are around 2 inches at present, but as they are fairly slow to reach maturity, I have time to adjust levels if things get a little busy. The Pleco are pretty much at mature size, as are the large angels & my Golden Gourami.

It's hard to make a stocking plan when the eventual tank size is an unknown. As you probably already know, plans for larger tanks aren't always in concrete, but if its definitely in the works for the very near future, then I would stock around the size of the new tank rather than the current one.

It's not something I typically suggest, but it works if you are in a position to get a larger tank as needed.

Back
Top Bottom