Should I add a Dwarf Gourami to this tank? Overstocked or OK?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mandy2936

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi!

I used to have a gorgeous Dwarf Gourami in my tank, but he died suddenly about a month after having him (DG disease?). I had been worried about possible aggression, because DG's can be a hit or a miss in a community tank. However, upon selecting a DG I chose the one in the tank that seemed the most docile, and he ended up keeping to himself and not bother anyone.

Anyway, I would love to get another, but my stocking has changed since I last had one. Right now I have a 20 gallon community tank with...
6 Neon Tetras
5 Orange Von Rio Flame Tetras
4 Julii Cories
3 male Guppies
and a Zebra Nerite snail.

Everything runs smoothly with that stocking, but I'm worried that a DG will put things overboard. According to AqAdvisor my tank would be 104% stocked... too much? It would be nice to have a 'center piece' fish in the tank but I wouldn't want to make things uncomfortable in there.

Opinions?

P.S. I do about a 40% PWC each week and have a 30 gallon filter in the tank.

Thanks! (y)

Hi do you test your water? As this would give a better indication as to whether you are close to fully stocking or not? Personally i reckon you are safe to go ahead and get your D/G:fish2:

I love gouramis. I'd add one to that tank. Hope you have better luck this time around.

Thank you both for the replies!

stingrays4 said:
Hi do you test your water? As this would give a better indication as to whether you are close to fully stocking or not? Personally i reckon you are safe to go ahead and get your D/G:fish2:

And to answer your question, yes, I do test my water (API liquid).

I think you would have no problems with adding a DG in , I recently moved my gold gourami to my community tank because the other two were beating up on her and she was always hiding behind a plant or getting nipped and chased and although she is a 3 spot has shown no aggression at all and its a great addition ... I think she will stay ....

70gal Flatback hex
--------------------
2 3spot Gouramis
8 Odessa barbs
5 emerald tiger barbs
5 tiger barbs
1 zebra loach
1 julii cory cat
1 common plec

10 gal community
-----------------
1 gold gourami
2 black lyretail mollies
2 sunset wagtail platy
2 cherry cream platy
2 twinbar platy

I got my Neon Dwarf Gourami today.
It seems as though he is too docile, because he just hides among the plants in the very back of the tank the whole time...

mandy2936 said:
I got my Neon Dwarf Gourami today.
It seems as though he is too docile, because he just hides among the plants in the very back of the tank the whole time...

Gourami seem very shy, my honey hid for the first day or 2 and after that was still skittish when I was near the tank.

Now I get my fingers nibbled so it's worth the shyness :)

Gourami are very sound sensitive , they are most active when in a quiet part of the house. I see a huge difference in the activity of mine based on how loud ambient noise around the tank is. however they are beautiful graceful swimmers and make for great inhabitants , wouldn't trade mine out.

Back
Top Bottom