Should I do water change weekly if numbers are good?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NOTDaleJR88

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
First off... glad to be here and enjoy this app / site immensely! A great source of knowledge for a guy like myself.

Bought a 25g tank... set it up and ran for a week and a half to get it cycling. However, I read quite a bit on the net about introducing fish to tank to bring along the cycle, etc.

So... have had my fish for a week now... they seem to be doing ok... and all the levels are good according to the test strips I have bought.

BUUUUUT... can my levels really be this good? I mean... a lot of the new tank owners on here all seem to have serious problems with the balance of the ammonia, nitrate & nitrite. So I have been very concerned about this since introducing the fish.

I feed the fish in the morning and early evening... I have a 30g Aqueon Filter (since the next lowest size was 20g).

So... the ammonia is 0, the Nitrate is 0 and the Nitrite is at 0. My water reads soft, the alkalinity is at about 130 (visually) and pH is 6.9

Those numbers all look good to me. So I don't know if I should still do a 10% weekly water change.

Not sure what I should do differently to be honest... but would love to hear any recommendations.

Thank you!

What kind of fish is it? If its really small it could be why you are seeing 0 across the charts. The test strips are notoriously inaccurate too, so they could be the problem too

How many fish and what kinds do you have? Very light stocking of a tank can help avoid major spikes in ammonia and nitrite while cycling. The test strips can be highly unreliable. I would suggest switching to a liquid test so you get more accurate readings.

I have 6 glofish. So yeah... not a huge amount of producers for a 25g tank maybe.

I will be buying the API Master Kit tomorrow. Just to be sure.

Back
Top Bottom