Should I just move my Betta’s now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kj287

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Okay, so exactly one month ago today we got my son a Betta fish. I thought I had done adequate research beforehand. I was nervous because neither my husband or I had ever been able to keep fish alive as children since our parents had no idea what they were doing, so I wanted to do this right so we could keep his fish alive. I fell in love with the little thing and within a couple days I went out and got my own.
Well, I actually did pretty good except for one thing. I hadn’t discovered cycling... of course.

So a couple days after we got mine I freaked out, bought the API testing kit and starting looking into how to do this with the fish already there. So far so good. I just do frequent 50% water changes and I’m careful not to clean the gravel and I leave the filter alone. As far as products goes we are using API Stress Coat as our water conditioner, plus Quick Start, and Stress Zyme.

After about a week into having them and doing even more research I started regretting buying the 3 gallon tanks, so I shopped around for bigger ones. We got two of the Marineland contour 5 gallon tanks because they are bigger, but also still fit in the current places we have them. So I set those up and started trying to cycle them a couple days ago.

Here’s my main question-
I don’t even think the tanks we currently have them in are cycled yet! NitrAtes and nitrItes are always 0 and we’ve had tiny ammonia spikes a couple times where it was still only 0.5, so I just did 80% water changes (again, not cleaning gravel or filter). I’ve read a couple places that tiny tanks like that may never cycle correctly.

So is there any point in me trying to cycle the 5 gallon tanks? Should I just put them in and keep doing what I’m doing in the bigger tanks? I mean at least they’ll be in bigger tanks, right? The frequent water changes in the 3 gallons really are easy, it’s so small the longest part is just getting the water ready. I don’t see it being much harder in the 5 gallons. Just takes a bigger bucket! Lol

We also got a 40 gallon from one of my husbands coworkers that has 5 Mollies. I was hoping to use the filter from that to help cycle the tanks, but we discovered after we got them home they have fish fungus (saprolegniasis). The tank was disgusting, but in the guys defense he is elderly and was getting rid of all of his fish because he says he doesn’t have the energy anymore. So I’m treating that with no issues so far, but obviously can’t use that filter since I don’t want to give the fungus to our bettas.

Sorry that’s a lot, I’m just so nervous because I had no idea how much I’d end up loving these little guys and I don’t want to mess it up.

Ok. How many bettas do you have? You mentioned getting one but then referred to it as multiple fish.
You might as well move it now and do a fish in cycle. Do you have any decorations from the partially cycled 3 gallon tank? If so move that over. You can buy beneficial bacteria from the pet store, it comes in a bottle. You can also ask if they have any used filter media (if you trust they have healthy tanks).

Ok. How many bettas do you have? You mentioned getting one but then referred to it as multiple fish.
You might as well move it now and do a fish in cycle. Do you have any decorations from the partially cycled 3 gallon tank? If so move that over. You can buy beneficial bacteria from the pet store, it comes in a bottle. You can also ask if they have any used filter media (if you trust they have healthy tanks).

Sorry again, I know that was really long. First paragraph, last sentence i mentioned going out and getting my own betta after we got my sons, but I wasn’t clear.

We do use Quick Start from API with beneficial bacteria but we haven’t moved our decorations from the current tanks to the new ones yet since they aren’t completely cycled. If we go ahead and move them over we will though, along with some gravel. We got the same colors for the new ones so I figured we could add a little extra on top from the old tanks while we’re moving them. Plus maybe add the filter from the old tanks to the new ones? Or part of it at least. They aren’t the same size but I can cut them to fit.

If we do all that won’t we basically be starting off with the new tanks right about where we are with the old ones anyway? Or close at least?

Oh and all we have near is a Petsmart. Unfortunately I don’t really trust them enough to use anything from theirs. :-(

Thank you for helping!!!

If we do all that won’t we basically be starting off with the new tanks right about where we are with the old ones anyway? Or close /QUOTE]

Yes it will be close. Yes you can try to cut the old filter to fit the new one.
No I wouldn't trust petsmart either.
Thanks for the clarification on the multiple betta thing. Bettas are great fish. I hope to get another one eventually.

If we do all that won’t we basically be starting off with the new tanks right about where we are with the old ones anyway? Or close /QUOTE]

Yes it will be close. Yes you can try to cut the old filter to fit the new one.
No I wouldn't trust petsmart either.
Thanks for the clarification on the multiple betta thing. Bettas are great fish. I hope to get another one eventually.
Perfect. Thank you so much!

Larger tanks are better. Sounds like you are on the right track.

You don't say where you are in Missouri, but if you are near St. Louis or Kansas City, you might consider posting on one of the aquarium societies' message boards to see if someone local might donate some used filter media from a healthy tank. Aquarium people tend to be good people.

Missouri Aquarium Society, Inc. MASI

MissouriAquariumSociety.com • Index page

https://kcfishclub.org/community/index.php?home/

https://kcfishclub.org/community/index.php?forums/

Back
Top Bottom