Should I take this tank or will it be a problem?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hulkamaniac

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've been offered another 10 gallon tank. The only thing I'm worried about is that it used to house a hamster and I'm afraid of residual ammonia in the tank. Should I take it anyway? I've only got half a dozen tanks. What's one more? :D

Well, I hope its not a problem since one of the 20Gs I have used to be for my own hamster. There is a bunch of "gunk" stuck into the corners where he used to go potty but I'm planning on scraping it off with a razor and then cleaning it like heck.

Like mine, I would assume you'll need to reseal it since hamsters seem to enjoy chewing out the silicone seals - so that's something you might want to consider before you say yes.

As for residual ammonia - I'm not sure of that yet as I've not yet resealed mine, but I would assume that if you scrape it down and rinse it alot that it won't be a problem.

Hopefully someone who's already done this conversion will pipe in so that we'll both know for sure :)

No problem at all. Take the tank. The concern about the seals is the only thing that would have me worried. Just check all the seals in the tank carefully, and then do a test fill outside in case it blows. Let it sit for a couple hours or so and check for leaks. If all is OK, drain the tank, fill back up with water and add 1/8-1/4 cup of bleach (straight bleach, NO other chemicals), stir it around and let it sit for a couple of hours. Then drain out and rinse several times. Let air dry. Then set it up. I'd do a fishless cycle personally, but either way add a double or triple amount of dechlor (Prime) when you fill it up to make sure any residual ammonia and chlorine are removed.

Do these steps and your tank will be cleaner than a new one bought off the shelf!

HTH,

justin

You will be able to see if the hampster picked at the silicone. Worst case do a test fill, if it leaks it will not cost you to much at all to re silicone it. I actually would not mind doing this because I never had to and it is good practice if you ever need to do it on a bigger tank. Just IMO

Back
Top Bottom