Should you ever replace a filter or just clean it out?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LauraFishwhiz

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Really confused if i should be changing my filter or not? I have had the current filter foam in since i started the tank around 3 months ago (1 month fishless cycle )

Should i just rinse? as would be loosing beneficial bacteria if changed completely?

How necessary is it to have the carbon in the filter? i removed to treat ich and have not yet replaced

Thank you!

Ring out sponge in bucket of tank water or treated water. Discard carbon( only.lasts a month) and any woven or floss media. What type of filter.

i have a tetra 54 litre tank and it came with the filter. i unclipped the filter and removed all the carbon when treating the tank do i just replace this with loose carbon?

i should only rinse the filter media then rather than replacing the whole thing?

If you're going to run carbon get a leash bag, not loose. Just rinse and re-use. If you discard you'll lose the cycle. What are all the components of the filter? Post a pic?

grr it won't let me post pics on here. its a green filter bag which i clip onto a hook and it goes in the box on the side of my tank along with my heater. I cut open the bag when treating ich to discard the carbon inside.

I'm assuming i can replace with any activated carbon pieces for fish tanks.

Ok, in familiar with that. You'll want to keep the bag. I'd suggest gettong a piece of foam and altering it to fit, lose the green frame. Leave the old bag crammed in there for a month than discard and use only the foam

Back
Top Bottom