Show me your loaches....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
they do look like juvi kubotais. Watch how their black markings chnge as they get older, and if they dont change, you have the close cousin, rostrata.

Nice looking loachs everyone!! And whoever said all loaches are nocturnal is wrong!! All of my loaches are constantly out during the day, and they sleep at night.

I love your clowns, michael. How big are they? (clowns are my favorite ;) )

What size tanks do you all have the Dojos in? I'm really loving these guys the more pictures I see of them. And do they need groups like other loaches do? :D

edit: And what temps do you keep them at? (I know they like cooler water)

img_760884_0_366c1dd76c0840b49984b14a94cc5e31.jpg

here is my dojo, i've had him for aobout three years. He is in my 50gal

I love your clowns, michael. How big are they? (clowns are my favorite )

Largest is just under 8", smallest 6"
They are in a 300 gallon planted tank

My Weather Loaches are in a 180 gallon at 72 degrees.

My dojos are in a 55g at 76* F

They defintly seem to appreciate each other's company, though I think you can keep one. I would recommend 2 though, I love watching all three of mine interact. They defintly hang out together a lot. They do like to bury themselves, so a fine substrate is recommended.

I can't wait till I upgrade my clowns. They are getting no less than 150g, but hopefully around 200-300.

Oh! I want to play... Here's my hillstream loach

Attachments

• hillstream_loach_2__medium__976.jpg
    hillstream_loach_2__medium__976.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 21
  • hillstream_loach_4__medium__823.jpg
    hillstream_loach_4__medium__823.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 29
Here's my hillstreams too (not the flat variety lol):

215379965_fa59d926ae_o.jpg

215971239_86877e26d2_o.jpg

219926511_70cb6320fb_o.jpg

208988594_5d0adfabb7_o.jpg

304127803_95e4f58275_o.jpg

The pics are poor quality because they move so fast, and thats also why I haven't got other pics to show!!! I don't know how everyone else manages to get such clear photos!

I go through about 20 pics to get one good one. I got a realy good pic of one of my rainbows yesterday, totally unintentional. Nice pics everyone!! Keep em coming!!

Ok, who'd have thought it but I managed to combine two community tanks into one yesterday all before 1pm, in the space of 3 hours total. Wasn't as laborious as I thought. Anyway, since moving them into the larger tank the schistura are out and about far more (although they are really goading my polkadot loaches over the log the polkas live in!).

Here's some (far better) photos I took just now:

All wanting to be in the photo:
363652637_1016e5ffcf_o.jpg

A BBG (one of five in total I keep in FW, just fine, for coming up to a year) and the loaches, all wanting attention:
363649743_3883421de4_o.jpg

All four of them:
363649742_d1a60a7bfb_o.jpg

Here's "Charlie", our little Sumo Loach:

Attachments

• dsc00590_153.jpg
    dsc00590_153.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 23
Nice pics! I saw some kubotai at the LFS a while back and wanted to get some, but not sure they'd get along with my striatas....anyone mix loaches in the same tank?

Here are some of my old striatas, I lost both of them in my tank move, but now I have two new ones, but no new pics. The new ones are much more active than the old ones were, very entertaining little guys!

P1000504.JPG

I think i'm going to pick up some loaches for my 50 gallon. A group would be nice. What would be a good species for this?

Striatas and yoyos stay smaller, clowns get HUGE and way too big for a 50g. Also Kuhlii loaches would be fine, as well as sidthimunkis (if you can find them) and kubotais.

yes, you can mix most varieties. I have clowns and dojos in my 55, kubotais and skunks in a 20, my yoyos have their own 20, and my kuhlis have their own 10

Botia are pretty much a social family, so they'll get along generally ok with one another. One exception would be botia modesta, which are fairly aggressive. Also almorhae (yoyo) tend to be a little more on the aggressive side than others.
Striata and kubotai should get along just fine though!

For a 50G you could have a group of 4-5 of one of these, or mix it up a little (3 striata, 2 yoyo etc.).

When I came home yesterday, I walked in on a loach fight! Apparently my kubotais were having one of those dominance struggles I've read about, and 2 of them in particular were going at it pretty seriously. I got a picture:
loachfight.jpg

You can see how the fighters are "grayed out" (They're normally colored like the lower left one). I also got about 30 seconds of lousy quality video of them, if anyone can tell me a good free place to upload it easily (it's about 25MB Quicktime, but I may be able to edit it down a bit).

Anyway, after about 10 minutes, they settled down, with no harm done that I can see. They were even snuggled up together in their favorite hidey hole by bedtime. :) I put a couple extra caves in just to be on the safe side, if anyone needs refuge.

Back
Top Bottom