Show off your Betta(s)!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
image-347123143.jpg, ok trying to post my first picture... of my BRAND NEW BETTA BOY! Think his name will be Angel (all pearly white Delta Tail, gorgeous!!!! Was not exactly planning on getting another fish just yet, new 5 gal just started this past w/e and hopefully doing ok (haven't tested yet) with plants, ornaments and filter media from the other tank. Yes it was an impulse buy! But I've wanted one just like that, plus Angel is full of personality and very active. His name will be wither Angel, Pearly or Icy (kinda leaning towards the first two names). For now he is in 1.5 gal goldfish bowl I found in my garage (thank God!!!) with live and fake plant one of each, some smooth river rocks and moss ball. He is eating ok but seems little skittish, think he's just adjusting to the bog changes (he was in 1/2 cup of water!). Don't know if the picture went through. I hope it did. Will have to spend more time looking into this. Want to post pics of my new tank (just substrate, rock cave, plants and water, no critters yet) and my vert first 2.5 gal one that got me all started here:) that houses Betta (dark blue with almost black head Double Tail, very, very beautiful!!!!), cute yellow Molly girl (named Sunshine), and orange platy girl (still needs a good name, thinking of naming her Flamy, but she's the one who tends to get boated and poops a lot, so I'm really tempted with some scientific name related to bowel function:) Anyways, will be posting pics aa soon as I figure out how to work this thing

Here is my halfmoon butterfly girl. First, her picture still young when I selected her, still at the farm in Thailand.

View attachment 165929

After traveling in the dark. Some stress marks

View attachment 165931

30+hours after arrival. Her 7.5 gallon is still cycling, so she wil be on her 2.5 nursery for a few weeks.

That is incredible, the amount of change!

Took some pictures of Ninja tonight with his new plants. He seems to enjoy patrolling his jungle.

image-631922431.jpg

image-3926635190.jpg

This is a really cool tank, Alyxx. I believe, because of your light substrate, you could really benefit from a dark background. Instead of expensive film for the back, I would consider a US$0.63 black project cardboard paper in black from Office Depot, walmart, etc just placed behind the glass...I believe your planta will just pop!

This is a really cool tank, Alyxx. I believe, because of your light substrate, you could really benefit from a dark background. Instead of expensive film for the back, I would consider a US$0.63 black project cardboard paper in black from Office Depot, walmart, etc just placed behind the glass...I believe your planta will just pop!

Thanks! I did a white background because the fish is pitch black. He would disappear on a black background! It's hard to tell from this picture but the back is painted with a nicely cracked coat of slightly off white paint with some silvery streaks in it. I'm thinking about actually backlighting the tank a little with one of those tap lights so that light shines in through the cracks.

Thanks! I did a white background because the fish is pitch black. He would disappear on a black background! It's hard to tell from this picture but the back is painted with a nicely cracked coat of slightly off white paint with some silvery streaks in it. I'm thinking about actually backlighting the tank a little with one of those tap lights so that light shines in through the cracks.

Yeah, I think your boy would be lost with a black background.....he is so dark and beautiful!!!
I am thinking of doing a very dark tank for a silver looking betta that has just appeared at my LFS!!! Can't stop thinking about it?!?

Yeah, I think your boy would be lost with a black background.....he is so dark and beautiful!!!

I am inclined to disagree. The black background will make less than 70% of the overall color seen. The light sand and the plants will be framed by a higher contrast. The dark fish will actually pop even more. As the plants mature, you will be left with less and less black, but a high contrasting tank between substrate, plants and the dark Fish.

We can go over and over since this is just opinions, but if you want, I can provide the sources that would back me up on this one. After all, I research visual communications for a living.:)

I am inclined to disagree. The black background will make less than 70% of the overall color seen. The light sand and the plants will be framed by a higher contrast. The dark fish will actually pop even more. As the plants mature, you will be left with less and less black, but a high contrasting tank between substrate, plants and the dark Fish.

We can go over and over since this is just opinions, but if you want, I can provide the sources that would back me up on this one. After all, I research visual communications for a living.:)

Totally agree, it comes down to personal preference and opinion. Against the mature plants his silhouette will be very prominent but I feel from what I have seen, very dark background with an almost pure black fish he will be lost at times. :) However, happily, tanks, backgrounds and decor etc. are as changeable as our moods. I Love seeing pics on here with everyone's personal touch rather than many similar tanks following general visually pleasing rules.

This is true, but when I was planning the tank I didn't intend for it to be so heavily planted. I just realized how well my anacharis was doing, looked into the lights I have a little more and realized that for the first time I have quite a bit more than low lighting and decided to go all out. I'm looking into ferts and liquid carbon now. However, I do like my light background because eventually this will be paired with a second 10 gallon with black sand and background for a white opaque betta, so that the tanks and their inhabitants will contrast.

Thanks for all the compliments on the tank, everyone!

I do like my light background because eventually this will be paired with a second 10 gallon with black sand and background for a white opaque betta, so that the tanks and their inhabitants will contrast.

This will look really good! More important than what we have been talking, no matter what colors we see or like, this thread is filled with well cared, well loved living entities. That matters the most.

Isn't it lovely to disagree with intelligent, respectful people? Thank you for understanding.

This will look really good! More important than what we have been talking, no matter what colors we see or like, this thread is filled with well cared, well loved living entities. That matters the most.

Isn't it lovely to disagree with intelligent, respectful people? Thank you for understanding.

I think we were both struck by the idea of a set of betta tanks at the same time, actually. Your three tank aqua scape thread popped up right around the time I thought of my two tank plan. And yes, this thread is full of some very loved and pampered Bettas, which really makes me happy considering the way a lot of people think is the "right way" to care for them - unheated bowls and infrequent water changes.

Civilized debate is always lovely, especially since it is so rare on the Internet these days... Btw, that female you got is lovely. Very nice colors.

I genuinely hope you didn't take my response and personal opinion as disrespectful? It seemed like a friendly debate :-/

I genuinely hope you didn't take my response and personal opinion as disrespectful? It seemed like a friendly debate :-/

Not disrespectful at all. Having different views bring people together, not apart. My vision is not better than yours, it is just different. From time to time, we learn a lot of interesting things from different views. The best example I can come up with is the classic "fresh water aquariums vs salt water ones": I had a very solid opinion, based on superficial knowledge, that fresh water tanks were dumb, dull and cheap. After interacting with people that disagreed with that, I cannot imagine myself investing time on a reef tank.:facepalm:

Not disrespectful at all. Having different views bring people together, not apart. My vision is not better than yours, it is just different. From time to time, we learn a lot of interesting things from different views. The best example I can come up with is the classic "fresh water aquariums vs salt water ones": I had a very solid opinion, based on superficial knowledge, that fresh water tanks were dumb, dull and cheap. After interacting with people that disagreed with that, I cannot imagine myself investing time on a reef tank.:facepalm:

Glad to hear it :) whether it is deemed unintelligent or not people will always have their personal preference, sometimes regardless of general consensus and even after time spent understanding the opposing view.

However it's great to have such an abundance of information on this site, lots of experience, opinions and official sources for us to read, learn and make informed choices from. Happy days!

P.S your 3 tank concept is beautiful

Thank you. One thing is for sure: if we were agreeing on everything, with the same opinions on what is good looking and on what is not, this would be a pretty boring thread, with identical fish...D:

My fish just came in! Totally recommend chard56 on aquabid, prompt response and shipping, and I am a recipient of one healthy betta! Some stress coloring right now, but hopefully will feel better tomorrow!

What no pics????:lol:

Alyxx: Awesome tanks!!!

No I forgot again >.> the app has the add pics button next to the send button and I just gave up >.< but here he is right after acclimation

Attachments

• image-3217241317.jpg
    image-3217241317.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 116

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom