sick coral beauty

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ajwilt

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i just got a coral beauty 2 days ago. She looked perfect in the store and when I initially got her home. Later that night I noticed one or two little spots on her. The next day she didn't have any more, but today she has quite a few. I plan on taking her back to the LFS because I don't have a QT. She is swimming fine...but has never eaten very well. I figured this was due to the new environment, but not think otherwise. Does this sound like ich or possible some other disease? All other fish in the tank are fine and she seems happy with her surroundings.

its possible that the new fish was stressed out from the move, and was more susceptible to ich and actually got it. Your other fish sound healthy and have most likely built and immunity to the ich.

The fish also could have been infected with ich from the LFS that you bought it from, i believe the life cycle of ich is only noticeable after a day or 2. There are many threads on marine ich, check out those posts. I definetly think it is ich tho.
Im treating mine right now!

You tank just recently cycled...not a good place for an angelfish. Return him, keep your tank stable for a few months, then think about trying one. They need a mature system of 3-6mo or they don't do too well. The name of this game is patience and research... :fadein:

and watch the other fish. If this fish brought ich in to your system, your others may become symptomatic.

just thought i would give an update on my coral beauty. She is doing fine. I talked to some people at my LFS and they said it was probably due to the stress caused by moving her, so it their anything to serious. They suggested a freshwater dip before using chemicals in the tank. I did the freshwater dip and now she is swimming happily with no spots and good color. She is eating and seems to have found her territory...although my clowns are a little upset at this because her territory may be a bit to close to thiers for thier liking. They said having her in my tank is just fine and they say she sounds like she is doing very well. I do have some ich medicine to put in the tank if any more problems arise.

thanks for all the advice!

Just thought I would add in my experience with my beauty. I got her and she was fine for a few days. Was swimming with my Foxface and Tang and did not seem stressed. Noticed a few spots and gave her a freshwater dip and all seemed well. Two or three days later she was swimming sideways, so I put her in QT. Two hours later she was at the bottom of the tank, and you probably can figure what happened when I awoke the next day. I too didn't think it was ich, still not sure?

Sorry for your loss. Freshwater dips can be very stressful to sw fish, that said the fish probably did not die of ich. We can only guess what happened to her, but it could have been an internal parasite or cyanide collecting or shipping stress or the like. Not always our fault.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom