Sick fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Caliban07

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a firemouth cichlid that has a darker colour than the others, has white patches (possibly a fungus) on his head/top of eyes. Has a pinky red spot on each gill and has fin rot. It's dorsal fin has little holes at the base of each fin ray in the skin between.

I have QT'd this fish and dosed water life myxazin and API triple sulfa so far. Both have failed. I don't want to administer anymore meds on this fish until I know or am confident which med is best to use. I could swab the fish and send it for tests to determine the gram of the bacterium and maybe have it cultured? But this would only diagnose
external infections?

When I was netting the fish for QT I noticed a sort of mucus come out if the fishes mouth.

Anyone have any idea what this symptoms mean?

This fish has been sick from day one. All parameters are fine and my other 3 firemouths are in good health.

Any ideas?

Do you think it's something different than what we suspected before (columnaris)?
You need some Furan-2 and Kanamycin maybe.

I have no clue by the way, just being supportive.

Do you think it's something different than what we suspected before (columnaris)?
You need some Furan-2 and Kanamycin maybe.

I have no clue by the way, just being supportive.

Lol thanks. I have zero idea what this is but the 2 meds which I've tried are supposed to target a broad spectrum bacteria gram pos and negative. I'm just wondering if it's an internal bacteria and these fall out of those particular meds spectrum.

I have probably made it worse by killing off the nasty bacterias competition.

I've heard these meds you mentioned before but I'm certain they cannot be obtained from where I am. I know this fish can be saved. The fight in him is incredible, he's eating normally and swimming normally.

I have some melafix and some interpret fin rot stuff but again I'm just guessing.

Have you tried a salty qt? Maybe good old wholistic healing could work here??? With some garlic soaked food? It's free, worth a try??

I have thought about this. Can I just soak the pellets in a garlic purée over night or do you have to buy it already made up?

I have thought about this. Can I just soak the pellets in a garlic purée over night or do you have to buy it already made up?
even better, the jars of minced garlic.. All the juice in there, soak pellets or flakes in that!

Can't hurt at this point.. Salt water heals human cuts up much faster.. Why not fish???

I'm just wondering whether or not to do the whole tank. The stress endured on the first QT was bad enough I don't know of I can do this to him again.

What do you think?

Trouble is the meds I think in Australia and England are just not as good as in the US.

Melafix I'd be surprised if it worked.

Have you tried a anti-fungal treatment?

Edit - yeah, I'd QT him just in case it spreads.

Salt - I'm running 3 tablespoons per 5 gal on a QT and thinking of giving up on that and trying a salt dip.

Last edited:
I know the meds are hard to get but you know I can get them to you. If you're just doing a QT the package wouldn't be all that big or heavy

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I know the meds are hard to get but you know I can get them to you. If you're just doing a QT the package wouldn't be all that big or heavy

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I know I was going to ask the other day. But I didn't know what I needed. Is it food this furan stuff?

No, the furan is just a med. But the kanamycin is a powder that you can put in a smidge of water and soak the food in if you have pellet food or something. How big is the QT? I bet it wouldn't be that expensive if you can just treat that.
You do both the kanamycin food and the furan in the water.
But... it kinds depends what the fish has, know what I mean? But this is like the big guns, most effective thing for gram negative bacteria.

No, the furan is just a med. But the kanamycin is a powder that you can put in a smidge of water and soak the food in if you have pellet food or something. How big is the QT? I bet it wouldn't be that expensive if you can just treat that.
You do both the kanamycin food and the furan in the water.
But... it kinds depends what the fish has, know what I mean? But this is like the big guns, most effective thing for gram negative bacteria.

Ok I just hope he can take the stress. I would be devastated if he/she died. How do we do this? Thanks btw

This actually just came from the sick fish. I can't be sure but I think it was coughed up when going for food.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1396735326.142307.jpg

It's a white cottony ball!

Poor thing.

Hi buddy. I reckon this is a parasite problem.

Almost certainly Chilodonella, but could be flukes or Trichodina. You could try a salt dip - 15 to 25 g per litre for up to 30 mins should help.

Not a clue what that white fluff ball is!

Hi buddy. I reckon this is a parasite problem.

Almost certainly Chilodonella, but could be flukes or Trichodina. You could try a salt dip - 15 to 25 g per litre for up to 30 mins should help.

Not a clue what that white fluff ball is!

Thanks pip I'll look in to these further in the morning. His gills are a bit pink if this remains constant with these parasites. He's eating and swimming fine though.

Back
Top Bottom