Sick Guppy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lycie

Aquarium Advice Regular
I don't know what's wrong with my guppy. I originally thought she was pregnant, but she's so big now she looks like she will literally explode.
Her scales are raised, she has had stringy white poo for about 24 hours, she's quite see through but there are no visible fry... She won't eat and is staying in the top corner of the tank.
I have two photos taken only a couple of days apart.

ANY advice or help would be so appreciated as I just don't know what's wrong with her :(

Attachments

• image-2767237020.jpg
    image-2767237020.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 139
  • image-2511436365.jpg
    image-2511436365.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 125
Ammonia 0, nitrites 0, nitrates were 20 and I did a 20% water change. Temp is 27 degrees celsius and pH is about 8. I've been struggling to keep it at a nice 7.5

I've read it's a good level to have the pH....that's all.
Do you know if I can do anything for my guppy?

I've been adding driftwood to my tank. Is that messing around? My tap water is extremely alkaline. I thought it was too high for my fish species.

Adding driftwood would not be considered messing around with the pH. I'm assuming they meant with chemicals, which isn't worth it and can mess your water up.

Did you clean the driftwood before you put it in, and if so, how did you clean it?

Your one picture looks like the pine-coning of dropsy, but the other one does not... so I'm not sure what to make of it.

Yes, I cleaned the driftwood.
The first photo is the most recent. I can add another if you want, she's gotten even bigger and more pine coning as well.
I would say it is dropsy and would appreciate advice on that.
But from what I've read there's no hope her getting better.

IF it is contagious what can I do for all my other fish? I don't have the room to isolate her.

How did you clean the driftwood? Lots of things can sneak into a tank if you don't boil or soak the wood.

As for dropsy, I've never had the misfortune to experience it in my tanks, but I've heard that adding some salt can help. Hopefully someone else will chime in, but you are right, generally, when a fish develops dropsy it's too far gone. :-( you could try moving her to a small bucket with an airstone if you don't have another tank, but guppies like it warm so you would probably need a heater as well....

Sorry about your fish.

I soaked it in boiling water until tannins were gone and then some. So I don't think it was the driftwood.

Thanks for your comment. It seems nobody knows much about dropsy. Otherwise I'm sure I would have had more help by now.
But I really appreciate your help - thank you.

Taken from online;
Dropsy General Description:
Dropsy is not really a disease. For all intensive purposes we will call it one. It's really an internal bacterial infection usually caused by poor water quality.* Fish may recover with no treatment and may die despite it. There are multiple possible causes. Sometimes it's not contageous, but sick fish should be isolated and treated since determining the actual cause may be impossible. The swelling is because the fish is absorbing water faster than it can eliminate it, and it can be caused by many different problems. High nitrates are one thing to check. Internal bacterial infections, including fish TB, are other possibilities. If there are no water quality problems, you may want to attempt antibiotic treatment in a separate tank.* There are multiple possible causes. Usually caused by kidney damage. Kidney damage may be caused by overuse of drugs or a disease. Eventually the swelling will cause the scales to raise, giving the fish what is called the "pine-cone" appearance.* You can best see this by viewing your fish from the top. Fish may also stop feeding, appear off-colour, become listless and/or lethargic, have sunken eyes, and hang at the top or stay at the bottom of the aquarium.

-I have never had a fish that has suffered from dropsy but it seems that your guppy has symptoms of it. I can't give you a solid answer on whether it is dropsy or if its just the pregnancy but I can say that I've never had a guppy pinecone like that before giving birth. If it is in fact dropsy there is not much you can do for her (from what I've read) is she still actively swimming and eating?

Thank you butterfly. I also read that online.
She is isolating herself from the other fish, not eating and just staying in the back top corner of the tank. Not looking good.
I haven't ever added chemicals to this tank, so if there is a cause it must be bacterial. I'm not able to put her in her own tank and I don't have the equipment.
I see that the text mentions they can sometimes get better on their own? I wonder if I should wait and see or just put her out of her misery.

Thanks so much for your help.

Back
Top Bottom