sick pleco?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ZakTheRipper

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My common pleco looks slightly strange. She had some fin rot a few weeks ago, which I treated with melafix. However, I'm not sure if she's sick with something else now. She has random streaks over a good portion of her body where her color is lighter, as if the color was somewhat bleached out in spots. It does not appear to be any sort of cottony growth, nor are her eyes cloudy. Is this a sign of anything? An internal parasite? I've noticed it for a long time, but it seems to cover more area now and the color difference seems greater. Any help is much appreciated.

Please answer the following questions so we can best help you...(this was copied and pasted from a post here on AA). I know it's quite a few questions, but it helps us get a good mental picture of your aquairum.

Answer these Qs to ensure we have as much information as possible about your ailing fish and its environment:

1~What type of fish is afflicted? In addition, please describe what is wrong with the fish to the best of your ability (i.e. cotton like growth, bloated, etc.).

2~What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp, pH)? Please give exact values.

3~ How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up?

4~What type of filtration are you using? Please give the name and number (i.e. Fluval 304) and amount of gph if known.

5~How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are their current sizes?

6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time?

7~How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them?

8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.?

9A~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently?

1) I think the common pleco MIGHT have something
2) NH3: 0
NO2: 0
NO3: 10-15 ppm
pH: 7.1-7.2
temp:
gH: ~2.5
3) 20 gallon, been set up for about a year
4) Penguin Marineland (or is it Marineland Penguin?) Biowheel 150 with filter sponges (no carbon). 150 gph.
5) aforementioned pleco and albino oscar. Oscar is ~4" long, pleco ~5" long
6) did a complete water change about 1 week ago to rid tank of green pea soup algae, which was probably caused by the fact that my tank was recycling and the ammonia/nitrate levels were very high at the time. However, they are stable now.
7) I've had both these fish for a long time. The pleco for almost a year, and the oscar for maybe 6 months.
8) about a month ago I added some plants with First Layer substrate, along with several pieces of Malaysian wood
9) I use flakes and variety algae wafers, but it is difficult to feed the pleco, as the oscar immediately gobbles any wafers i drop in the tank for him. Occasionally, I buy some feeder fish for the oscar, though I haven't in about a month.

It is possible the pleco is showing signs of stress. Both those fish will need to go into a much larger tank very soon. That oscar needs at least a 60 gallon aquarium. They can reach about 18". That is a whopper fish that needs a whopper tank with whopper filtration. They can grow to half that size within a year or two. Growth then slows down and may take 10+ years to get full potential size.

Common plecos in the wild can reach 3 feet in length. They live longer than oscars and get much bigger and therefore grow slower, but it will become a very large animal.

A 20 gallon tank is just WAY TOO small even if it's used just as a rearing tank prior to a larger tank. The oscar produces more ammonia than the average fish and both are waste machines. Feeding these guys properly is important to keep good water quality, but the volume of water plays a key role in the upkeep of the water's quality. The less volume of water, the quicker it fouls. The water quality looks good now, but for how long?

Stick to not feeding live feeders to the oscar. It's not healthy. Goldfish feeders are the equivelant of candy and can harbor nasty bacteria and parasites. It only takes one to make the oscar sick, so just because it hasn't happened yet, doesn't mean it won't. Thawed out meaty foods like krill, beef heart, and silversides are good substitutes to live food.

Give the fish a time limit in feeding. For an oscar, three minutes worth of food per day is enough to maintain good health with an occasional snack of thawed out frozen food. This will help keep the nitrates at somewhat controllable levels.

Plecos should be fed at night being they are nocturnal feeders. It's good the oscar is getting it's veggies though :) It's important for all fish.

The plants will be trashed from both the oscar and the common pleco regardless how big the tank is. Oscars dig, uprooting plants and the common pleco will eat the plants. Smaller species of plecos like the bushynoses and thomasi plecos are plant safe, but the common pleco and many other larger species are not plant safe.

I say you either need to trade out the fish for ones that will fit in the tank or start cycling a 60 gallon tank or larger for these guys to live their lives in. Keeping them in the 20 will result in deformities if not territorial outbursts of deadly aggression kill them first as they grow. Fish that are still growing continue to grow, but to the shape of the tank and this can cause some ghastly deformities.

There is some evidence, though not sure if formally documented that poor water quality and poor nutrition can dwarf fish growth, but the system itself is not healthy and the fish generally die prematurely.

Yeah, I know all about the potential growth these guys have. I'm going to be selling them to the lfs for store credit, and probably getting some shell dwellers and maybe some small loaches. I haven't decided exactly what yet, but definitely smaller fish that are suited to a small tank permanently.

As it is now, I've got no trouble keeping waste levels down, and I didn't before I recycled the tank and cleaned the filter out.

Even at night, I have trouble getting the pleco to come out long enough to eat the wafers, and the damn oscar ALWAYS snatches them as soon as they fall in the water. His appetite knows no limits. The pleco seems content suckling on the wood all day though, and i guess he gets enough food from detritus at the bottom. I looked at him last night and his color looks better, actually.

I haven't seen them eating the plants yet, even at night, but who knows. I definitely know the oscar tends to uproot them, and I see them lying on their sides in their baskets sometimes (though not usually).

As I understand it, common plecos reach only 18 inches at max. You're saying up to 3 feet in the wild? Either way, yes, far too big a species for my tank. When I got these guys I was under the impression that they would grow to a size appropriate for the tank and then their growth would taper off. Of course, now I understand that is a common misconception.

I would invest in a bigger system, as my friend used to work at a Pet Club and he's got the hookup, but being a college student, I really don't have the time or space to deal with a larger tank, not to mention the fact that I'm moving it every year or so.

The little shell dwellers are neat little fish. Calvus would grow up nice with them too.

Fish growth has always been a misconception. One day about a year ago someone brought in a silver tip catfish to the store that was raised in a 20 gallon tank. This animal was nearly a foot long and it's body grew in a 90 degree angle because he didn't fit in the tank right to grow outward as normal. So he took to the shape of the tank. When we put him in a tank that was size appropriate for him, he couldn't swim. We had to put him down. There was nothing we could do for him.

Once done with school, you can settle down in a place and have a large tank. Till then, you can get plenty of practice with the 20.

Yeah, I knew that if he ever grew much larger than he is now I would be getting rid of him. What kind of moron would keep a fish that can't even physically fit in the tank without being in a curved position? A foot is obviously far too big for a pleco in a 20 gallon

Back
Top Bottom