Sick snail

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BenWor

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey everyone,

I have a simple 20gal fish tank and last week I bought a big snail (no idea what specie, sorry) but immediately after putting into my tank it locked itself into its shell and dissent come out. It has been about a week and I have only seen him out like twice. He doesn't stick his antenna out at all.
Is there something wrong with my water chemistry?
Ammonium 0 ph 7.5

You need to check for more than ammonia, nitrates and nitrites are other things you need to keep an eye on. Also need a bit more information on the situation, any fish in the tank, is the tank cycled, how warm is the tank, your nitrate/nitrite levels. With all that being said, alot of times snails will hide out in their shells for some time. Still better safe than sorry, get us more info and we should be able to say for sure if it's just acclimating or sick.

Never purchase an animal without knowing what it is, too. For all you know, you could have purchased a snail which needs 24 hours of sunlight and a golden bed to live, and you just sentenced it to death.

Chances are it is a common apple/mystery snail based on your description, but my point is simple. Dont waste a life or your money until you've done your research.

Sake covered the basics. The basics being we need the basics. Lol.

Ok, I ordered some test kits online and they should arrive soon. I'll get back to you guys when I get the results.

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom